What's new

Free (or very cheap) OpenVPN services with multiple US locations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

krick

Regular Contributor
I'm looking to dip my toe into the OpenVPN pool for certain devices on my home network via my ASUS RT-AC68U router.

I'm living in the US and I'm trying to find a free or very cheap OpenVPN service that has multiple US endpoints to get around some regional restrictions for streaming content.

I've tried using the forum search but I either come up with very old threads or results that have nothing to do with. If this isn't the best place to ask, please point me in the right direction.

Thank you kindly.

It would be helpful to state the country you're in. :)

Any reason you're using such an old fork of the RMerlin firmware?

The latest 384.12_0 release will offer many benefits (I believe even over the last 39E3 release by john9527, right now).

I'm looking to dip my toe into the OpenVPN pool for certain devices on my home network via my ASUS RT-AC68U router.

I'm living in the US and I'm trying to find a free or very cheap OpenVPN service that has multiple US endpoints to get around some regional restrictions for streaming content.

I've tried using the forum search but I either come up with very old threads or results that have nothing to do with. If this isn't the best place to ask, please point me in the right direction.
I use this FREE VPN vpnbook (multiple US sites=2!) as a backup to my paid subscription VPN, but it all depends on what you regard as a cheap VPN.
NOTE: You have to regularly check/renew the VPNBOOK VPN password as they change it twice a month :(
Also whilst FREE, they offer a dedicated IP for $7.95p/m (30-day)

Alternatively, for $4.17p/m (24-months) you could try TunnelBear, so it really depends on if/when the 'big' VPN providers e.g. Torguard $9.99 etc. offers a tempting discounted subscription deal.

Last edited:
I use ProtonVPN as a free backup to my paid VPN provider. I route a couple fo devices through both VPNs.

That's what I'm using at the moment. But they have others.

Followup question... Are you using the TCP profiles or the UDP profiles for MLB?

The instructions say "Open TCP_Files or UDP_Files whatever you desire". From what I find online, it says that it depends on what the service supports.

Is it a one-or-the-other situation? You can't have it set up for both TCP and UDP at the same time, right?

Followup question... Are you using the TCP profiles or the UDP profiles for MLB?

UDP. I always use UDP w/ OpenVPN, regardless of the provider, unless it gives me problems.

The instructions say "Open TCP_Files or UDP_Files whatever you desire". From what I find online, it says that it depends on what the service supports.

Is it a one-or-the-other situation? You can't have it set up for both TCP and UDP at the same time, right?

The servers list shows UDP and TCP as options for OpenVPN, but different servers (specifically, different domain names).

As far as having both at the same time, I don't understand. Any given OpenVPN client has to be configured for either UDP or TCP, not both at the same time.

I use this FREE VPN vpnbook (multiple US sites=2!) as a backup to my paid subscription VPN, but it all depends on what you regard as a cheap VPN.
NOTE: You have to regularly check/renew the VPNBOOK VPN password as they change it twice a month :(
Also whilst FREE, they offer a dedicated IP for $7.95p/m (30-day)

Alternatively, for $4.17p/m (24-months) you could try TunnelBear, so it really depends on if/when the 'big' VPN providers e.g. Torguard $9.99 etc. offers a tempting discounted subscription deal.
Torguard will actually give you a better price if you just ask for a better deal.They gave me a promotional code just for the asking.Very good VPN provides

Have you tried windscribe? They have a free option but limited to 10gb traffic per month..

I tried both (pay and free account) and no complain so far.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!