What's new

Frequent disconnecting on Lan while gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

justin1230

New Around Here
Bought the AX88U a year ago and it works just fine for a year,
Recently, I experience frequent network drops on my wired pc,
As you can see below, it disconnect and reconnect within few or 20 seconds.
Thats really annoying while ranking in Apex.....
I changed the cable and the problem persists.
And the situation happens randomly, but most of the time it is noticable while playing Apex....
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
fyi, I am using the stock firmware (lastest version)

May 11 22:24:51 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
May 11 22:24:53 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
May 11 22:25:15 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
May 11 22:25:18 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
May 11 22:25:30 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
May 11 22:25:33 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
May 11 22:25:55 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
May 11 22:25:57 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
May 11 22:25:59 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
May 11 22:26:02 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
May 11 22:26:03 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
May 11 22:26:06 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
May 11 22:26:07 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
May 11 22:26:10 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
May 11 22:26:12 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
May 11 22:26:15 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
May 11 22:26:16 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
May 11 22:26:18 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 100 mbps full duplex

Try plugging your Ethernet cable into another LAN port on the router. If you still get the same problem then I'd say it's a problem with your PC and not the router.

I also tried the 2 Lan port on the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E motherboard (one with 2.5Gbps LAN and one Gigabit LAN)
after switching the port, it works for few days and problems happens again,
Yesterday, I reset network settings in control panel and seems all works fine.
Will observate for few more days and report back...

After sometimes, the problem still persits, I need to reset network settings each time....
Maybe a Win11 problem.....

So if one device works fine, and not the other, we can think it's not a router problem.
As long as you tried with the same wire, on the same ethernet port.
That is why, i'd prefer that you test playing with an other computer linked with the same wire that you used to use.

clean updated the card driver?

clean updated the card driver?
both of the network driver are up to date. And i did try uninstall and reinstall the driver and the same problem happens.
And now the problems happen more frequently....... So frustrated...
or should i reinstall the windows and see if things still happens?

I doubt reinstalling windows would fix it.

These onboard nics are not the greatest to say the least, I just changed my sons on his MSI Board to https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001CXWWBE/?tag=smallncom-21

Since then, no issues, he was getting a disconnect once or twice a day before that.

That said, there is a few tricks to try, disable ALL powersaving "features" on the card, try different drivers (older ones sometimes work better than newerones, indeed it is possible that Windoze has updated the driver you originally had which has screwed your connection) If you find the original driver that came when you set up the pc, then block windoze from updatin it, or it will revert back to disconnects.

Also you could try different "speed and duplex" settings on the card, rather than auto, there is an issue with some of these realtek cards that they get overloaded and briefly disconnect.

Again that said, you might be better of just shutting down the onboard nic, and replacing it with an intel like above. Which is what I did in the end. It's annoying because these motherboards cost a fortune, but it's brought me peace of mind so worth.

Just thought another option could be to run system restore back to when it was working, and then lock windows from updating that driver.

Almost certain this is a driver issue.

Also https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download try the older drivers.

Last edited:
Do you have a friend where you can test your PC over at his house to see if you have the same problem?

The other thing is you can reset your network stack on your Windows machine.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!