What's new

Frustrating Belkin N+ router (please help)...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NickPDX

New Around Here
I just setup today my brand new Belkin N+ wireless router. I ended up going with the Belkin N+ for a couple reasons. There were some pretty good reviews for the device, it had gigabit LAN and it was on sale for $74. I have owned routers made by DLink, Netgear and Linksys in the past so I figured I would give Belkin a shot.

I am more frustrated with this device than I have been in a very very long time.

Info about the device and my setup:
Belkin N+
Hardware: F5D8235-4 v1000
Firmware: 1.01.23
Boot Loader: version 2.02 - built Jun 12 2008 Time:15:40:46
Wireless driver: 1.8.3.0
Firewall: 2.02
GUI: 2.03

I am running a desktop (wired) and a laptop (wireless B&G) both with Windows Vista SP2.

I got the device setup using the automated program. I had to reboot my modem numerous times in order for it to recognize that it was connected to the internet. I then went into the manual settings and changed the LAN information to the IP address that I prefer to use. The router rebooted, came back up and again did not recognize the internet connection. I had to reboot the modem a handful of times and the router until if finally found the internet connection. When it finally figured out that it was connected it seemed to work just fine. I was able to surf the net share files between my NAS and my PC and my media center. Everything wired seemed to be just fine. I left for a while, when I came back my computer had "gone to sleep". When I woke it up it said it had no internet connection. Again the routers internet detection went away, this time it found it again without a reboot. Everything seemed to continue to work fine with a wired connection.

I then moved onto the wireless setup. I went into the manual setup and enabled the wireless radio, set to ch11 (read that it or 1 is best with the Wii), changed the SSID from the default, changed wireless mode to B&G only, turned on WEP in the security set the key applied the changes and turned on my laptop. I found the connection, full signal, started to connect (gave a message saying it was taking longer than usual to connect) finally allowed me to enter the WEP key, and attempted to connect. It connected asked me what type of connection this was and continued. When it seemed to be finished I attempted to surf the web but it did not work. I then realized that it said it was connected to the router but "local only".

I have gone through the settings and changed things all around. I have tried with security on and off. I have tried with different channels, or auto. I have tried with BG and N. I seem to have attempted with every different combo there could be. I finally have now reset the router to default settings and let it setup everything default. It is currently setup as 100% default settings and still reads as local only connection. I have tried this with 2 different laptops and get the same results each time. The laptops are B&G wireless and I have no N devices.

I am somewhat satisfied with the wired settings and services of this router after getting them how I like them, but I can not figure out the wireless at all. I want to give this router a fair shot especially since it has got such good reviews. Can somebody please help me figure out the wireless connection problems I am having. Obviously there is a way to get it setup right because people have reviewed the wireless on the device.

This has been a very frustrating experience but I hate giving up without figuring it out some way. Thank you very much for any help anybody can offer.

Nick

UPDATE: I just went out and tried to connect to the wireless with the Nintendo Wii. It found the connection and tested successful. I then went into the "shop channel" and it connected fine. I exited the shop channel went to the internet browser and it wouldn't work. I exited that went into another internet based app and it didn't work. I went back into the shop channel and it worked. I tried the internet channel again and it worked.

I went back in, rebooted the laptop and it still didn't work. This has just added to my frustration. It seems like it can get a connection from some devices maybe, but even then it doesn't seem very steady.

First, disable WEP and do your testing with an unencrypted connection. Also, try using Windows' built-in wireless client instead of the Belkin utility.

Check that the IP address information that your wireless adapter is getting is correct. Especially check the gateway and DNS information and make sure that it matches the information on the wired adapter.

Last night I was trying with the default settings which includes no security at all. I was still only getting a local only connection. I had tried to go in and manually input an IP address on my laptop to see if that made things work but it did not.

This morning I kept things the same default but changed the wireless to B&G only. I also noticed that the WPS protection was enabled. I disabled that and tried to connect. With WPS off and only B&G selected the laptop connected and was able to access the internet. Now that I had a base point I figured I would start adding stuff one by one until I had it setup how I wanted it. The first thing I have changed was the LAN IP address. Everything in my house is setup to use 192.168.0.1 and this Belkin uses 192.168.2.1. I changed that and it restarted the router. I am now sitting waiting for it to recognize that it has an internet connection. I don't know why it has such a hard time picking up the connection from the modem after it reboots.

I am going to give the modem a reboot and see if that does the trick. If it does I will then be able to post this reply.

To be continued ....

I unplugged the modem waited a little bit and plugged it back in ... still no internet connection found by the router. Then I unplugged both plugged in the modem first waited for everything to connect and plugged in the router ... still no connection. I rebooted the modem once more and it finally found the connection. I am getting very close to returning this thing and paying the extra 30 bucks or so for a linksys gigabit wireless router.

I am getting very close to returning this thing and paying the extra 30 bucks or so for a linksys gigabit wireless router.
I would if I were you.

If it's any consolation, the Belkin N150 that I'm in the process of reviewing refuses to get a WAN connection from my D-Link DIR-655. I think something is flaky with Belkin's WAN DHCP lease code or perhaps it has a problem with auto-negotiating an Ethernet link.

The thing finally came back up and the laptop connected fine. I then turned on WEP and it works still. I have no clue what the problem was but apartently I have found the correct settings for my house .... up to this point. I am still thinking that I might want to return this though if this is any sign of things to come. I might test drive it for the rest of my return period from at the store I bought it at so that I can give it a true fair chance.

I may still go with something else. It looks like the linksys routers are getting the best reviews around here. I think that I want a wireless router that has gigabit, and supports jumbo frames. I will do some looking around and see what my next option is. Thanks for the help thiggins, I will update more later as I change more settings and play around with it some more. Hope your current review goes smoother than this has for me. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!