What's new

ftp'ing into Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

evilonod

New Around Here
How do I fix this issue below? The ftp server on Merlin wants an encryption login. But sftp-server on Merlin isn't found. See my two attempts below.

dolive@zeeman:~$ ftp 192.168.50.3
Connected to 192.168.50.3.
220 Welcome to ASUS RT-AC68U FTP service.
Name (192.168.50.3:dolive): dolive
530 Non-anonymous sessions must use encryption.
ftp: Login failed
ftp> quit

dolive@zeeman:~$ sftp 192.168.50.3
dolive@192.168.50.3's password:
sh: /opt/libexec/sftp-server: not found
Connection closed.
Connection closed

How do I fix this issue below? The ftp server on Merlin wants an encryption login. But sftp-server on Merlin isn't found. See my two attempts below.

dolive@zeeman:~$ ftp 192.168.50.3
Connected to 192.168.50.3.
220 Welcome to ASUS RT-AC68U FTP service.
Name (192.168.50.3:dolive): dolive
530 Non-anonymous sessions must use encryption.
ftp: Login failed
ftp> quit

dolive@zeeman:~$ sftp 192.168.50.3
dolive@192.168.50.3's password:
Connection closed.
Connection closed
NSA is that you? ‍️

That won't work. This is what I get.

$ sftp home-router.asuscomm.com
user@home-router.asuscomm.com's password:
Connection closed.
Connection closed

Is the problem that sftp-server is not installed on the os?
FTPS, not SFTP. They're two completely different protocols.

If you're only using this within your LAN then disable TLS support in the router's FTP settings and use regular FTP.

If you're only using this within your LAN then disable TLS support in the router's FTP settings and use regular FTP.
Thank you for your suggestion.
I recently encountered similar to the above mentioned issue:
Снимок экрана 2023-03-02 в 04.15.02.png

When enabling FTP with WAN Access OFF, Anonymous login OFF, TLS support ON, I can't connect to FTP server from LAN. When I type in either ftp://lan.server.address or ftps://lan.server.address in my browser, I get user login prompt, enter user credentials and get no files listing... blank page in the browser.
However, if I switch OFF TLS support ftp works fine: after server login in the browser the files show off as they should.
May you have an idea?

Thank you for your suggestion.
I recently encountered similar to the above mentioned issue:
View attachment 48264
When enabling FTP with WAN Access OFF, Anonymous login OFF, TLS support ON, I can't connect to FTP server from LAN. When I type in either ftp://lan.server.address or ftps://lan.server.address in my browser, I get user login prompt, enter user credentials and get no files listing... blank page in the browser.
However, if I switch OFF TLS support ftp works fine: after server login in the browser the files show off as they should.
May you have an idea?
What browser are you using to access the FTP server? Most browsers don't support FTP anymore let alone FTPS. I suggest you use something like Filezilla instead.

If you must use a browser why not use regular FTP (i.e. with TLS disabled) like I suggested above?

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor, thank you for your prompt reply.
I used Firefox 78.15.0esr on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
Indeed, Firefox 110.0 on macOS Monterey 12.6.3 refuses to open ftp sites and offers to open ftp link in external application.
I installed FileZilla 3.51.0 (the latest available on macports I suppose) and, voila, it successfully connected to my ftp server running on ac86u with 386.9 with TLS support enabled.
The Finder.app couldn't establish connection to ftp server with TLS enabled both on 10.11.6 and 12.6.3. Cyberduck couldn't either.
Yeah, your initial suggestion and the latest one came real handy.
Thank you very much for your help!

I use https://winscp.net/eng/index.php filezilla is fine though as well.

Works like a dream with my asus ftp share server onto attached usb for mc backups of pi mc server.

That doesn't help if he's using macOS. It also doesn't support FTPS which is what he wanted.
Untitled.jpg

Didn't see he was using MacOS, as this is an open forum the WinSCP option is still valid for Windows users.

Yeah, I wanted to make sure I could connect with FTPS to the FTP Store in my environment.
I just started thinking FTPS was flawed especially after I couldn't find enough debug info in the logs.

I stand corrected.

I don't know why I thought it didn't support FTPS, especially as I'm actually using it for that. Probably confused myself because I've been using WinSCP since before they added support for it in 2009 and I remember having to find an alternative at the time. :rolleyes:
I actually tried both filezilla and winscp, I believe although I might be wrong, that filezilla has more "features" , but winscp has better windows integration. Personally I like simple and winscp does everything I need and has a tidy interfece. Appreciate irrelevant to the op however.

@ColinTaylor , @BreakingDad , guys, do you know if it's possible to configure DNS server on the Router in such a way that it would be possible to reach any mesh node from WAN with a URL containing the domain name registered with DDNS service?
I have two FTP servers with WAN access enabled: one on the Router connected to ISP and another on the mesh node behind that router. There's an "Enable WAN access" option on the FTP server on the mesh node; however, I have no idea at the moment how I can access it from WAN with a URL.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor , @BreakingDad , guys, do you know if it's possible to configure DNS server on the Router in such a way that it would be possible to reach any mesh node from WAN with a URL containing the domain name registered with DDNS service?
You need you run a reverse proxy server on your router to do that, e.g. nginx.

I have two FTP servers with WAN access enabled: one on the Router connected to ISP and another on the mesh node behind that router. There's an "Enable WAN access" option on the FTP server on the mesh node; however, I have no idea at the moment how I can access it from WAN with a URL.
The "Enable WAN access" option on the node is an oversight IMHO. It shouldn't be present as a node has no WAN interface.

You need you run a reverse proxy server on your router to do that, e.g. nginx.
Thank you very much for your reply. I will look into this.
The "Enable WAN access" option on the node is an oversight IMHO. It shouldn't be present as a node has no WAN interface.
Thank you for your opinion. My initial thought was that since the option was there, then maybe it helps to configure the node in such a way that it can be reached from WAN.

Today when I login remotely from WAN to AiCloud via HTTPS, I'm granted access to files on the node though AiCloud Web UI. Moreover, through AiCloud Web UI I can create URL links to files on the node and then give these URL's to anyone for remote download of the files. This is why I thought that maybe "Enable WAN access" on the node's FTP server would allow me to access files on the node via FTPS directly (bypassing AiCloud Web UI) without superflous hassle.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!