What's new

FTTP ONT location

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wizzard

Regular Contributor
Planning to have FTTP installed for the first time. I was thinking of having the ONT located in the Garage where there are enough power points.

Can I then run an Ethernet connection about 10 metres away to my study where the Router will be located?

Are you allowed to provide any names here please?
Sure, but we need to know what country you're in. IIRC you're in the UK?

It also might depend on how exactly you're planning to lay this cable. For example, is this just a simple 10m patch cable, or do you want structured cabling that runs between patch panels and inside walls or ceilings. Is the cable going to be outside and exposed to UV and the weather? Is it going to be buried in the ground inside a conduit? Will it run alongside power cables and require shielding from EMR?

If you just need a standard patch cable I made a similar post here. I'd suggest perhaps their standard Cat6 cable:

Sure, but we need to know what country you're in. IIRC you're in the UK?

It also might depend on how exactly you're planning to lay this cable. For example, is this just a simple 10m patch cable, or do you want structured cabling that runs between patch panels and inside walls or ceilings. Is the cable going to be outside and exposed to UV and the weather? Is it going to be buried in the ground inside a conduit? Will it run alongside power cables and require shielding from EMR?

If you just need a standard patch cable I made a similar post here. I'd suggest perhaps their standard Cat6 cable:

Thanks Colin. Will run along the internal Garage wall, through a internal wall (duct already there) and into the study. Not near power cables.

Sounds good. How do you intend to terminate the connection in the office? Are you going to plug the cable straight into your router or are you going to terminate it at a wall plate?

It is clear that you want the FTTP installed in your premises, but I need to know what country you're in. Though the installation is not a tough process, it is important to enquire about the address for the eligibility of FTTP connection. In case the installation of fibre box is already done, then you couldn’t move it from one place to another.

However, a distance of 10 meters shouldn't pose any significant issues for Ethernet connectivity, as long as you use quality Ethernet cables capable of sustaining high-speed data transfer rates. It's a common setup for FTTP installations to have the Optical Network Terminal located in one area and the router placed in another.

Just ensure the Ethernet cable is properly installed and protected to maintain signal integrity over the distance.

It is clear that you want the FTTP installed in your premises, but I need to know what country you're in. Though the installation is not a tough process, it is important to enquire about the address for the eligibility of FTTP connection. In case the installation of fibre box is already done, then you couldn’t move it from one place to another.

However, a distance of 10 meters shouldn't pose any significant issues for Ethernet connectivity, as long as you use quality Ethernet cables capable of sustaining high-speed data transfer rates. It's a common setup for FTTP installations to have the Optical Network Terminal located in one area and the router placed in another.

Just ensure the Ethernet cable is properly installed and protected to maintain signal integrity over the distance.
You're responding to a thread that died in 2022. @wizzard hasn't been active since January 2023 so it's likely this thread is of no further use to them.