What's new

Full Cone vs Symmetric NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

Is there an explanation available somewhere that goes into detail about which NAT type (full cone vs symmetric) is best used for what types of traffic? Is one considered more secure than the other?

Thanks,
Harry

Is there an explanation available somewhere that goes into detail about which NAT type (full cone vs symmetric) is best used for what types of traffic? Is one considered more secure than the other?
Thanks,
Harry

I think you need to become familiar with google......

Those are STUN NAT types for UDP traffic. The built in hide NAT functionality on the Asus will take care of UDP just fine with default settings.

Thanks for all the links and suggestions to Google this but none of them actually go into detail about under what circumstances you should use one vs the other NAT type. Everything in Wikipedia and else where when Googling just describes how these two NAT types work which I already know. What I don't know is when to use one vs the other.

And just to add to the links about NAT here's one of the better ones I've found: https://doc-kurento.readthedocs.io/en/latest/knowledge/nat.html

Thanks for all the links and suggestions to Google this but none of them actually go into detail about under what circumstances you should use one vs the other NAT type. Everything in Wikipedia and else where when Googling just describes how these two NAT types work which I already know. What I don't know is when to use one vs the other.

And just to add to the links about NAT here's one of the better ones I've found: https://doc-kurento.readthedocs.io/en/latest/knowledge/nat.html

What isn't working with standard overload NAT that you are trying to fix?

Is one considered more secure than the other?
Yes Symetric is more secure, full cone leaves ports permanently open, but it is also considered "optimal" for gamers, although I think the effect is placebo.

"It is worth mentioning the important role that the NAT filtration plays in how UPnP will behave. For example, you may see that despite enabling UPnP, the NAT Type remains on Strict (Level 3) and this can happen if the router uses Symmetric NAT filtering which basically means that the inbound traffic is allowed only from the same external IP address and the port used as the destination. The solution is to use Full Cone NAT filtering, so if the incoming traffic towards your console doesn’t originate from the same IP address, then it will still arrive at its destination (it’s obviously the less secure option)."

Last edited:

Thanks,
Harry
I dont really know myself but I can tell you that I have two xbox ones and if I don't have it on full cone, the xboxes report NAT type strict, but when I put it on full cone it says open. So that's all I can offer

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!