What's new

Fun With Networked Music: Squeezebox Boom and iPeng Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Danny

New Around Here
I enjoyed this article very much.

Although the Squeezebox Duet was not specifically reviewed, this article swayed me against buying that. I thought I wanted a Duet; now I'm pretty sure the Boom is the closest to what I need. What I'd really like is something like the Transporter with a lower price tag. Like, much lower. I'm no audiophile either, but I enjoy music and convenience. I like the idea of using an iTouch for the controller… but, as I understand it, iPod is a gateway drug to other Apple products. So, I'm reluctant.

I chuckled when Tim said he hated installing software to review products. So true! It's not the installation that's so painful, it's cleaning up the aftermath… Well, I must be a glutton for punishment, because I went ahead and installed SqueezeCenter (not too bad) and also SoftSqueeze (more of a pain) on my spare system running Windows XP Home. I also installed an alternative to SoftSqueeze called SqueezePlay.

I tried unsuccessfully to use SqueezeCenter in the past but this time I got it (and supporting programs) working right. It's pretty neat, overall. Later, I might post a reply with tips on what (and what not) to do or try. I have to play more to be sure I know what I'm talking about.

There are many entries in the media player market. I wonder how it'll sort itself out in coming years—will products become orphaned as companies abandon them or go belly-up? Will companies left behind monetize their user base in a way that hurts users' enjoyment? I'm reluctant to invest in a Chumby, for instance, when it's unclear to me whether that device can be programmed or used without the manufacturer's assistance and permission.

SoftSqueeze software player tips

I also installed an alternative to SoftSqueeze called SqueezePlay.
SqueezePlay was better, although SoftSqueeze gives you a rough idea of what it's like to own the actual product.

If you run SoftSqueeze look for the tiny, obscure icon widget that looks somewhat like a minimize button on the top left side of the window. Clicking that brings up the preferences dialog where you can change skins. You can make SoftSqueeze look like a Boom instead of a Transporter. Both SoftSqueeze and SqueezePlay (shoot, the whole software set) suffer from a lack of documentation.

If you run SqueezePlay, the first thing you're going to need to do is raise the volume. Use the keyboard + key. For ‘normal’ keyboards you must press the shift key for + because it is a shifted character. The + on the numeric keypad didn't work for me. Awkward. You must raise the volume the first time you use SoftSqueeze as well, but at least that has a controller you can poke at with the mouse, so you're more likely to find the volume!

I had best results installing SoftSqueeze from an installer found on this page: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105169 Clicking around in your browser showing the SqueezeCenter page, you may find an option for installing SoftSqueeze directly from your browser using a java applet. I don't recommend that method because I had inconsistent results installing when installing to different users on different machines. The standalone installer worked best, and I only had it install it once per computer, unlike the java applet which required to be installed for each user on a given machine. Your experience may vary.

The best downloads for SqueezeCenter and SqueezePlay were obtained from this page: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.3 I used the build called SqueezeCenter-7.3.3-25463 after uninstalling the one I installed from Logitech's main product download page, SqueezeCenter-7.3.2. There may have been no good reason me to uninstall/ reinstall, I was just having a lot of problems with SoftSqueeze.

Attachments

• softsqu.png
    softsqu.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
To Tim...

Tim, I don't know what server you're using for SC and feed your Boom, but I recently built one based on pcengines alix for my brother. Pictures here.
Good performance, great power efficiency.

And the openvpn maintenance link I included -started from webmin- is really great for updates. I just did his SC7.3.3 update in a cinch.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!