What's new

Gaming port Ax86 | Firewall rules all off!! | Gaming settings help? Hardware accel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can u link me the cable?
Just stick with a good premade CAT5e patch cable. There is no advantage to using a solid core cable as a patch cable and you stand a good chance of breaking one or more wires. Solid cable should only be used for fixed runs between patch panel and wall jack.

Limited-time deal: Cat 8 Ethernet Cable for Rj45 Connectors, Ethernet Cord, Internet Cable for Ethernet Adapter, LAN Cable, Gaming High-Speed Ethernet-Cable, Outdoor&Indoor Ethernet Patch WiFi Ps4 Cable (50 ft Cable) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GWXK9CR/?tag=snbforums-20

This is what I have. Should I invest I a different grounded cat 8 w a copper core?
No. Save your money and use CAT5e.

Cat 8s have higher transmission speed
Not if you're using it in a 1Gb or 2.5Gb port. Cat5e is rated up to 2.5Gb. Using a higher rated cable isn't going to make it go faster, it's still going to be 1Gb or 2.5Gb depending on the port being used.

Last edited:
The so-called "gaming port" on the RT-AX86U works by prioritizing traffic on one specific physical port above everything else - that's all it does - and that can be more than enough to mess to the detriment of other devices on your network.

Cat 8s have higher transmission speed
No, the speed of electrons through copper is fixed. Another rule you can't change.

What you are interested in is bandwidth. Yes, CAT 8 has more bandwidth than CAT 5. But the speed is the same. It is like a 2 inch pipe can transmit more liquid than a 1 inch pipe.

You gaming quest may be defeated by your interest in more bandwidth. I had a discussion with a service tech from my ISP the other week. He was installing a GIG FIOS service in a couple of neighborhood houses. He said that they will not gain much if any performance with their 1000/1000 FIOS over my 100/100 FIOS. Yes, they have a fatter pipe but that is about it. He went on to say some gamers in the neighborhood have actually gone back to 100/100 FIOS as the get better gaming performance.

So, a "fat pipe" quest just might not be your best move.

The so-called "gaming port" on the RT-AX86U works by prioritizing traffic on one specific physical port above everything else - that's all it does - and that can be more than enough to mess to the detriment of other devices on your network.
But how exactly.

Port based QoS? What kind?

I’ve done latency test on 2.5 g port, reg lan port and gaming port.

I have physical data that proves 2.5 G port can handle latency better than both GP and LAN port. But shouldn’t I b GP ??

Can u link me the cable?
This link here is the CAT 8 that I have been using. It's really good but it doesn't flex very easily. You can combine it along with this other flat type CAT 8 where you need more flexibility.

The need for higher quality Ethernet cable beyond CAT 5e has been debated in this forum. I have friends who are high level network engineers who have in the past emphasized to me the importance of using high quality Ethernet cable. It's really a matter of personal preference.

My reasoning for using CAT 8 is the high bandwidth future proofing and the extra shielding that surrounds the data twisted pairs and where the cabling is thoroughly shielded where it is terminated at the ends. Our environments are saturated with all ranges of wireless frequencies, EMF leakage from power sources, etc.. Long runs of cabling can act like an antenna to draw in interference from outside sources and generate EMF to interfere with itself which is why you use different mathematical ratios of twists for each pair along with layers of shielding for Ethernet cabling.

Last edited:
You gaming quest may be defeated by your interest in more bandwidth. I had a discussion with a service tech from my ISP the other week. He was installing a GIG FIOS service in a couple of neighborhood houses. He said that they will not gain much if any performance with their 1000/1000 FIOS over my 100/100 FIOS. Yes, they have a fatter pipe but that is about it. He went on to say some gamers in the neighborhood have actually gone back to 100/100 FIOS as the get better gaming performance.

So, a "fat pipe" quest just might not be your best move.

Multiplayer gaming data isn't very big, so the only advantage more bandwidth gets you is faster downloads for games and add-ons. More bandwidth doesn't mean better latency and low latency is the key to a smooth multiplayer experience.

I have physical data that proves 2.5 G port can handle latency better than both GP and LAN port. But shouldn’t I b GP ??

If you've managed to conduct a none synthetic test and came up with significant results, then it might be worthwhile posting the results, if just for information and nothing else!

I just recently got an AX86U and it is dedicated to just an xbox and an Apple TV.
YMMV but I found that disabling all the QoS stuff and bundled security features like IPS etc gave me better performance and less dropped UDP packets.
It’s worth noting that I have a firewall enabled on the ISP modem and port forward the gaming ports to the AX86U.

I just recently got an AX86U and it is dedicated to just an xbox and an Apple TV.
YMMV but I found that disabling all the QoS stuff and bundled security features like IPS etc gave me better performance and less dropped UDP packets.
It’s worth noting that I have a firewall enabled on the ISP modem and port forward the gaming ports to the AX86U.
Bundled Security features?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!