What's new

General ICMP, HTTP, DNS & Connectivity Issues | Nighthawk X4S D7800 R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Flipmode11

Regular Contributor
Hey SNB members, I hope you are all well during this time. :cool:

I have used Asus routers for a long time. My current and backup router have failed - so I did some research and found that the R7800 was meant to be "really" good from several sources.
I drove a couple hours to catch up with a mate and I'd pickup his unused R7800. Now, I thought I was getting the R7800 but no, what he gave me was a D7800.

When I logged in, the GUI was terrible. I was thinking how can people recommend or even like this? I could not even get the device into Router-only mode! No setting and the device was very unstable.
Firmware was ~1.0.0.42 (or thereabouts). So I found newest firmware on Netgear and updated - Error! "Not compatible with router model". So I went for 2019, 2018, 2017 f/w, etc. Finally the OLD firmware from Netgear worked. At this stage I am thinking "What the F&*#&$)@ kind of POS device is this???" Finally after getting 2018 firmware I could switch to Router mode. Enabled auto-updates and finally got the latest firmware automatically (1.0.1.58).

How do people seriously use these R7800 / D7800 devices?? Plus the "pop-up" authentication! Not ability to remember password or auto-login w/ own password mgr!
I am less than impressed with the R7800 and even less with Netgear. I am ready to Frisbee the router out the window!!

Q: How do you even set-up a VPN client? It seems like it only supports VPN pass-thru w/ the Netgear VPN app?? (obviously and all other VyprVPN, NordVPN, etc clients).

Q: Is there any firmware I can use, despite having the DSL modem function? I really don't care if the DSL function does not work....
Will I need to offset the firmware, or is everything else the same between them?
Q: Maybe it is worthwhile just doing a backup, doing a complete reset and wipe. Then re-configuring from scratch, instead of data migrated between several versions....?

Q: Parental control - just redirects to a page and doesn't even mention "Netgear Genie". Is this even worth using?

Q: WiFi signal is very poor. 2 rooms away I would get 4 bars with AC86U, and with this I get 1-2 of 5G and 2 bars of 2G wireless... I think the antenna on the 7800 are MUCH LOWER DBI than that of other routers. NB. I will try swapping the antenna over w/ other reverse-SMA antenna.

Q: BIGGEST issue that annoys me with this device - my MSI notebook cannot even PING the router (you would think the "Block ICMP packets" would only apply to the WAN, right??? Geezus Kryst these devices are NOT user-friendly!! I have tried changing router subnets, manual config of IP, manual DNS, disabling IPv6, netsh IP/TCP/UDP/Winsock reset, /displaydns, /flushdns, driver uninstall, driver uninstall + delete, updating Killer Wireless drivers + s/w, enabling/disabling associated settings, but have no idea why I cannot PING 192.168.1.1 (General Failure) or access the UI???

I even tried doing a system restore to 3 days prior - but that failed thanks to it complaining about OneDrive in my documents folder! Bloody hell! o_O:mad::eek:
I have had a few frustrating days! At this stage I would have preferred to have thrown $60 on a TP-Link AC1900! Although, who knows if that supports OpenVPN clients....

Can someone please share the "optimal" configuration, best firmware (stable) and recommended configu set-up for this device? And, also so the MSI notebook can access the UI without error.....
Thank you! :)

** FIREFOX ** Unable to connect Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.1. etc. . . . . . . ** YANDEX ** Your Internet access has been blocked. Firewall or antivirus software may have blocked the connection. etc. . . . . . . ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED

C:\Users\Aether>nslookup yahoo.com 192.168.1.1 DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. Server: UnKnown Address: 192.168.1.1 etc. . . . . . . *** Request to UnKnown timed-out

C:\Users\Aether>ping 192.168.1.1 Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data: General failure. General failure. General failure. General failure. etc. . . . . . .

C:\Users\Aether>tracert 192.168.1.1 Tracing route to 192.168.1.1 over a maximum of 30 hops 1 General failure. Trace complete.

It seems there is something wrong with your device, but I don’t know the D7800... I can talk only about the R7800.

GUI is indeed dated but works from any browser for me and it is not unstable. I have access to multiple settings.
Anyway, the GUI is not what makes this router great.

Q: How do you even set-up a VPN client? It seems like it only supports VPN pass-thru w/ the Netgear VPN app?? (obviously and all other VyprVPN, NordVPN, etc clients).

R7800 has no problems with VPN (client or server). However, I am not sure if stock firmware is enough or not since I am personally not using VPN on the router. Many people here are using the @kamoj Addon that is extending the GUI and allow to easily set up VPN (with many providers) and many other things. It can also be done without the Addon, by hand in command line in the router, but unless you have specific reasons not to, I recommend the Addon.

Q: Is there any firmware I can use, despite having the DSL modem function? I really don't care if the DSL function does not work....
Will I need to offset the firmware, or is everything else the same between them?

For the R7800, definitely use the @Voxel firmware (the only serious way to go). I don’t know if D7800 is compatible or not.

Q: Maybe it is worthwhile just doing a backup, doing a complete reset and wipe. Then re-configuring from scratch, instead of data migrated between several versions....?

Yes, that is a good idea, but to save time, do that only once you have been able to install the Voxel firmware (if you can) and the kamoj Addon (requires Voxels’s firmware).

Q: Parental control - just redirects to a page and doesn't even mention "Netgear Genie". Is this even worth using?

In my opinion: no.

Q: WiFi signal is very poor. 2 rooms away I would get 4 bars with AC86U, and with this I get 1-2 of 5G and 2 bars of 2G wireless... I think the antenna on the 7800 are MUCH LOWER DBI than that of other routers. NB. I will try swapping the antenna over w/ other reverse-SMA antenna.

I find the R7800 quite powerful. It can reach far in the garden, way beyond my previous TP-link router. And all is fine in the house (including basement) with concrete floors and walls.

Q: BIGGEST issue that annoys me with this device - my MSI notebook cannot even PING the router (you would think the "Block ICMP packets" would only apply to the WAN, right??? Geezus Kryst these devices are NOT user-friendly!! I have tried changing router subnets, manual config of IP, manual DNS, disabling IPv6, netsh IP/TCP/UDP/Winsock reset, /displaydns, /flushdns, driver uninstall, driver uninstall + delete, updating Killer Wireless drivers + s/w, enabling/disabling associated settings, but have no idea why I cannot PING 192.168.1.1 (General Failure) or access the UI???

Blocking ICMP Ping packets only blocks the WAN side for me. I always have been able to ping my router from LAN.

Now this is strange.
It would appear I cannot ping ANY devices on ANY local network.
WIFI - 192.168.50.1 - Cannot ping any device over WiFi
LAN - 192.168.15.1 - Cannot ping this subnet's router.

However I can ping any external public web address!?!?!?

It would appear some issues are not actually the Netgear! o_O

Having already NETSH and reset every device, uninstalled and deleted drivers, updated and installed new/latest drivers, it would appear this is some sort of s/w configuration?
I noticed also, the other day when right-clicking on DNS Client under services.msc, all options (start, stop, resume, restart" were all disabled...
Tried doing system restore and OneDrive blocked the restore - although I am not sure why Restore is trying to touch my documents folder - I have it set to ignore documents in snapshots and just applications, I thought.
Help!

INTERESTING!..... Pinging the loopback does actually work.
But both 192.168.15.1, 192.168.50.1, 192.168.1.1 come up with an ERROR...
Save if I ping a Virtual Network Adapter - Hyper-V,
See below - expand the quoted text.

ALL LOCAL SUBNET NETWORKS:
Code:
> ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

> ping 192.168.15.1

Pinging 192.168.15.1 with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

Ping statistics for 192.168.15.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

> ping 192.168.50.1

Pinging 192.168.50.1 with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

Ping statistics for 192.168.50.1:

> ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

HYPER-V VIRTUAL NETWORK ADAPTERS:
Code:
>ping 172.17.80.1

Pinging 172.17.80.1 with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

Ping statistics for 172.17.80.1:

> ping 172.17.112.1

Pinging 172.17.112.1 with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

Ping statistics for 172.17.112.1:

IP CONFIGURATION:
Code:
>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MSI
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Unknown adapter NordLynx:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NordLynx Tunnel
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Default Switch):

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-5D-90-45-BA
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ecfc:69fd:5372:2d6e%40(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.17.112.1(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 671094109
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1F-C7-C3-29-4C-CC-6A-DC-00-F3
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-7D-BA-6F-2B
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9E-B6-D0-19-4A-5B

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AE-B6-D0-19-4A-5B

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 4C-CC-6A-DC-00-F3
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.100(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 20 September 2020 4:07:18 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 21 September 2020 4:07:43 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-B6-D0-19-4A-5B
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.15(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 20 September 2020 4:28:17 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 21 September 2020 4:28:18 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 176.103.130.130

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-B6-D0-19-4A-5C

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Ethernet):

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-5D-76-FD-53
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::91af:5b38:85bc:87a%33(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.17.80.1(Preferred)
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 553653597

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Ethernet 4):

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #3
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-5D-8D-0E-12
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::51d9:bb41:5929:55ac%38(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.27.144.1(Preferred)
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 637539677

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Wi-Fi):

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #4
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-5D-BB-8D-32
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6db7:bc06:64af:3d90%66(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.19.144.1(Preferred)
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 1107301725

I drove a couple hours to catch up with a mate and I'd pickup his unused R7800. Now, I thought I was getting the R7800 but no, what he gave me was a D7800.

I am less than impressed with the R7800 and even less with Netgear. I am ready to Frisbee the router out the window!!
Have you ever used the R7800 with Voxel firmware? Probably not, and you'd notice a huge difference with the stock firmware (not for the GUI but for the performance)

Not to mention kamoj add-on: you'd be surprised how many things the R7800 can do with that add-on ;-)

If you want to experiment something completely different, you could play around with OpenWRT: https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/netgear_d7800

And here you can find Kong's firmware: http://www.desipro.de/openwrt/

P.S.
I don't know how 'techie' you are, and if not, I'd suggest you read as much as you can before attempt any firmware flash with OpenWRT !

Good luck!

Thank you @tarassippo - really appreciate your response! 3 options to consider - not sure if all 2 options support the D-series, just the R-series... I will give OpenWRT another go - it has been "some" years since I was last disappointed by it. It looks like it has come a long way. Try Voxel and look into this add-on and see if it is only for Voxel or independent AsusWRT has always been very straight forward, I hope OpenWRT is too.... :cool:

Shame there is no thread or topic on here that details all firmware, current status (EOL, unstable, active, etc) and what devices are supported. I could not find anything other than OpenWRT and support was not mentioned for my device. Or, the downloads and forum posts were empty for my "accidental" device type.

I am starting to think the connectivity issues may well be Windows... It was probably too co-incidental. See diagnostics above.
I could access the internet, however not PING any local subnets other than Loopback...

I am not that impressed by the WiFi range on this device. Sitting 3M away, connected to standard WiFi it will not connect higher than 156 Mbps on 2G or 390 Mbps on 5G. The ""Quad-Stream Wave 2 WiFi"" doesn't seem very 'speciall' at all... I would have thought I would get closer to 600Mbps and 1000+Mbps on 5GHz for an "AC2600" device!?!? o_O

I have replaced the wireless antennas with some 15 year old 30cm long omni directional antenna. 5G seems worse - more testing required. Perhaps not a 5GHz-compatible antenna?

@tarassippo so what you are saying is that the custom firmware (Voxel) performed worse / slower? Oh... "you'd notice a huge difference with the stock firmware" - I think you mean "over the stock firmware". Ok. :)

Have you ever used the R7800 with Voxel firmware? Probably not, and you'd notice a huge difference with the stock firmware (not for the GUI but for the performance)

Not to mention kamoj add-on: you'd be surprised how many things the R7800 can do with that add-on ;-)

If you want to experiment something completely different, you could play around with OpenWRT: https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/netgear_d7800

And here you can find Kong's firmware: http://www.desipro.de/openwrt/

P.S. I don't know how 'techie' you are, and if not, I'd suggest you read as much as you can before attempt any firmware flash with OpenWRT !
Good luck!

Oh... R7800 supports lots more RE: WiFi.. Has support for either "80MHz + 80MHz" and "160MHz". D7800 has support for neither....
Seems like some regions market two different routers - non-AC2600 and the AC2600...

Always select "Europe" under WiFi settings of NetGear routers...

DFS Source: https://kb.netgear.com/000060378/Wh...ction-channels-does-my-NETGEAR-device-support

DFS/NCC Certification
Nighthawk X4S
(Model: R7800)​
128,132,136,140,144​
118,126,134,142​
122,138​
42+58,
106+122,
138+155​
N/A​

DFS channels for CE (Conformité Européenne) certification:
Nighthawk X4S
128,132,136,140​
118,126,134​
122​
42+58,
106+122​
N/A​
Nighthawk X4S
AC2600 Smart WiFi
132,136,140​
134​
58,106 ..​
.... NA ....​
..... 50 .....​

DFS channels for IC (Industry Canada) certification:
Router
20MHz
40MHz
80MHz
80MHz+80MHz
160MHz
Nighthawk X4S
AC2600 Smart WiFi
132,136,140​
134​
58,106​
NA​
50​
Nighthawk X4S
132,136,140​
134​
58,106​
42+58,
138+155​
NA​

DFS channels for CE (Conformité Européenne) certification:
Router
20MHz
40MHz
80MHz
80MHz+80MHz
160MHz
Nighthawk X4S
VDSL/ADSL Modem
(Model: D7800)​
128,132,136,140,​
118,126,134​
58,106,122​
N/A​
N/A​

Anyway, I was hoping determine an answer to why the WiFi is so much lower than the AC2600 quoted - certainly not seeing 1733 from 5GHz! :p
I wonder how my RT-AC86U compared in WiFi performance and so on... The D7800 stock antenna are much longer than the RT-AC86 - but what's plastic and where does the dBi end... Shame manufacturers do not usually publish this!

Last edited:
Or, the downloads and forum posts were empty for my "accidental" device type.
Not sure I understand what you mean, but from the links I posted (Kong and OpenWRT) you can download the firmware for the D7800

I am not that impressed by the WiFi range on this device. Sitting 3M away, connected to standard WiFi it will not connect higher than 156 Mbps on 2G or 390 Mbps on 5G. The ""Quad-Stream Wave 2 WiFi"" doesn't seem very 'speciall' at all... I would have thought I would get closer to 600Mbps and 1000+Mbps on 5GHz for an "AC2600" device!?!? o_O
Bear in mind R7800 and D7800 use slightly different hardware - R7800 has got more horse power :cool: - and the WiFi performance of the R7800 are better than D7800... But your speed is definitely below of what the D7800 is capable of...

@tarassippo so what you are saying is that the custom firmware (Voxel) performed worse / slower? Oh... "you'd notice a huge difference with the stock firmware" - I think you mean "over the stock firmware". Ok. :)
oops my bad :p

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!