What's new

General questions on NAS setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So, now that I got WOL working my next step would be to contemplate a backup solution for my NAS. I did a couple of quick searches but couldn't find any how-tos or articles about NAS backup. I would like a system where the changes I make to the NAS filesystem is instantly updated on my backup drive (or at least once a day). Any suggestions as to this? What kind of media should I go for (external harddrive, memory stick etc.)? And how can I set it up?

Sounds like you want an rsync-based solution. I don't have anything here describing how to set up rsync on Ubuntu, but you can find some info easily.

My personal preference is to back up to a separate NAS vs. attached.

Thanks, rsync looks like a solution that would fit my needs. I'm gonna look into it. I was thinking of just buying a decent external disk for backup. Its gonna be cheaper than building another NAS. Do you believe this will be sufficient for a good backup?