What's new

Get asus AX58U router mode features on ap mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anonymopt

New Around Here
Hi my isp doesn't provide bridge mode on the ONT+router combo, because of this i have to use my asus ax58u on ap mode and it works fine my only problem is that a lot of the features like vpn don't show up on ap mode. Is there any firmware or hack to be able to use this features on ap mode? I wanted to avoid using a raspberry pi for vpn server when my router is capable of doing it

Use it in Router Mode behind your ISP router in double NAT, place the assigned WAN IP in ISP router DMZ. Connect all your devices to the AX58U.

Use it in Router Mode behind your ISP router in double NAT, place the assigned WAN IP in ISP router DMZ. Connect all your devices to the AX58U.
i heard there would be issues with VPN and games with double nat thats why i only used the router in AP mode,

Tech9 is correct.

Use router mode and configure the DMZ properly and you should have few problems.

i heard there would be issues with VPN and games with double nat thats why i only used the router in AP mode,
Double NAT works fine where you run VPN clients on the second router. No need for DMZ. I have even experimented and gone as deep as QUAD NAT with no problems. Double NAT only creates problems/challenges if you need or want to run some type of server on the second router.

Also being double NAT will not increase the latency by a amount that SOHO users can measure.

The biggest issue when running double NAT and you have a network problem the support people will blame in on the double NAT and stop looking for what is the real problem.

If you have the ISP modem/router in Bridge Mode though the support people will blame your equipment instantly and ask you to revert the ISP equipment to Router mode for further diagnostics. Many Asus router users called the ISP for no reason after their Asus router fail to obtain WAN IP from DHCP.

Damn dude, you're making this sound quite difficult.

How would somebody who HAS to use their ISP's router for VoiP purposes be able to pull this off?

This is exactly an option for people who have to run the ISP provided equipment in Router mode for VoIP, IPTV or whatever other reason.

Connect your own router's WAN port to a LAN port of the ISP router. The ISP router's DHCP will assign an IP for your own router. This IP becomes WAN IP for your own router. This IP has to be placed in ISP router's DMZ. It's only needed if you run some services accessible from Internet on your own router. You either forward specific ports manually or use DMZ for convenience. If nothing needs port forwarding you can skip this part and it will still work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!