What's new

Getting rid of my Drobo, need other options.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drkwtsn

New Around Here
Currently I have a Drobo with a Droboshare and I can't stand it. It is the most unreliable NAS I have ever seen, and crashes ALL of the time (this is my experience, your mileage may vary).

When its working, I use it for a Media server for my MacMini that runs PLEX mediaserver. Other than that, it stores the occasional pictures and music files, but mostly movies (DVD Rips, some BluRay).

I am looking at replacing it with a 4-5 Bay NAS that supports expansion. I currently have 4 - 1TB drives I will be putting in there, and would like to replace them with 2TB drives as I can afford them.

I have given some thought into building my own and running FreeNAS, but I am unsure if this will suit my needs... plus I like the all-in-one of a qNap device, or something similar... but those seem to be so expensive!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

-Derek

Or if you are looking for a more finished product and less hassle installing & troubleshooting stuff yourself, try unRAID:
http://www.lime-technology.com/joomla/

Pro:
- Can withstand 1 drive failure without a problem
- If a second drive fails when data is not rebuild, only the data on that particular drive is lost.
- Easy expansion
- Mix PATA & SATA drives
- Mix drives of different sizes
- Handware independant (can use any SATA/PATA controller you like, easily transfer array to another system)
- Runs from a USB stick (no more space wasted on your HD's)

Con:
- Not free :(
- Not as 'self healing' as the Drobo

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!