What's new

Ghost client at my network, Unknow device, need help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wsarahan

Hi guys, i just bought the RT-AC5300 and there is a client at my 2.4Ghz wifi that insists to appear, the sinal of this device is very week and it`s of from my DHCP range list, can someone help me to find what is it and if i need to leave it there and if not how to remove this device?

Will post some images here

2015-12-18_21-19-34.png

2015-12-18_21-18-24.png

Te devoce is from Hon Hai precision Ind Co Ltda

really need help

Thanks

You can always try blocking it and see what does not work? More than likely it some device on your network.

Change your 2.4GHz password and reboot the device. If it's still there I'm clueless if it's gone someone has your 2.4GHz password and is stealing your internet. Change it permanently.

Change your 2.4GHz password and reboot the device. If it's still there I'm clueless if it's gone someone has your 2.4GHz password and is stealing your internet. Change it permanently.

I changed the password and the device is gone

But something that i can`t undertand is the IP adress that is set as static one and the range is way outside my dhcp limit ip

My range is from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.150 the device is at 192.168.0.184

But i agree, the best solution is to change the password right?

I have my router locked to only the networks I have setup in my LAN. All my VLANs are separate networks and they are allowed outside. All other networks are blocked in the router. So no foreign IPs can flow outside to the internet.

I also block all DNS access except for my chosen DHCP DNS server. No rogue DNS servers are allowed out to the internet.

These are just good security practices to setup on a router.

Devices don't need to get IP address information from the router they are associated with in order to connect.

I often set a static IP on devices when testing and they connect just fine. When setting a static IP, you WANT to set an address outside the DHCP server scope, or you'll get an address collision.

Hi guys, i just bought the RT-AC5300 and there is a client at my 2.4Ghz wifi that insists to appear, the sinal of this device is very week and it`s of from my DHCP range list, can someone help me to find what is it and if i need to leave it there and if not how to remove this device?

Might be an iDevice or other SmartPhone coming out of sleep - recent SW releases do MAC randomization to protect some level of privacy before they establish trust - makes things a bit hard to debug...

Might be an iDevice or other SmartPhone coming out of sleep - recent SW releases do MAC randomization to protect some level of privacy before they establish trust - makes things a bit hard to debug...

Changed the network password and never saw this decide agaib :)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Thanks but the range is out ot the scope, i already rebooted the router and it always appears

Your DHCP scope is not related to what you are blocking. They are independent tasks. Your DHCP pool is just a pool of IP addresses to hand out which could be any private address or network. Blocking IP addresses or Mac addresses does not relate.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!