What's new

Gig switch question on speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willyburz

Rando question...I have a gig switch, and am pulling 1.3 at modem...will the switch handle close to that 1.3, or is that not going to happen with a standard gig switch?! I have the new S33 modem and want to squeeze all I can from it. Do I need to go to a 2.5 switch and 2.5 router, to take any advantage of the extra 300 over the gig speed I'm pulling in?

Appreciate the input

A gigabit port will only go at 1 gigabit per second (or 10Mb or 100Mb if it has to negotiate down).

On my routers (going back to the RT-AC3100 I had) I could see 1.1, 1.2, and even 1.3Gbps download speeds. Uploads never exceeded 1.0, even from an i7 quad-core desktop.

Even testing this right now, from the same desktop computer, I hit 1.1Gbps on fast.com.

I don't know how accurate that is, but it does show that at least for bursts, it is possible, somehow?

I'm on a 1Gbps up/down symmetrical Fibre connection and it is the same type/quality and length of Cat5e cable I'm using between the two RT-AX86U's for backhaul via their 2.5GbE Ports. The computer I'm doing the test on is connected directly to the main router, which is connected to the ONT.

On my routers (going back to the RT-AC3100 I had) I could see 1.1, 1.2, and even 1.3Gbps download speeds. Uploads never exceeded 1.0, even from an i7 quad-core desktop.

Even testing this right now, from the same desktop computer, I hit 1.1Gbps on fast.com.

I don't know how accurate that is, but it does show that at least for bursts, it is possible, somehow?

I'm on a 1Gbps up/down symmetrical Fibre connection and it is the same type/quality and length of Cat5e cable I'm using between the two RT-AX86U's for backhaul via their 2.5GbE Ports. The computer I'm doing the test on is connected directly to the main router, which is connected to the ONT.
A gigabit interface only transfers data at 1Gbps (or 100Mbps or 10Mbps) so your results indicate an error in the way the speed is being reported. It is simply not capable of transferring data at 1.1Gbps, 1.2Gbps, 1.3Gbps, 0.9Gbps, 0.8Gbps, etc. Even if your ISP speed is 600Mbps the switch interface is still sending that data in bursts at 1Gbps.

Last edited:
I understand @ColinTaylor. But how do we account for what I'm seeing then? Over various routers and many years?

I understand @ColinTaylor. But how do we account for what I'm seeing then? Over various routers and many years?
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I had amended my post with "so your results indicate an error in the way the speed is being reported". I don't doubt the numbers you're seeing, just that it cannot reflect reality.

That's what I wasn't sure about, as Im working through my router and switch options moving forward. I just want to maximize speeds and wasn't sure if gig switches can handle a bit over like cables can. Thought I'd ask.

I'd like to go 2.5 switch if that one I got is going to shave a speed chunk off, and looking at the Asus ax86u router from your input on my other post @L&LD

Im still not sure why I get flashing amber on the S33 2.5 port,unless it does that if it recognizes a sub 2.5 client connection, or if it's just a bug...as the speed test seems to be about the same on either port with the S33.

My house is cat5e wired and currently run S33 to switch, that goes out directly to gaming consoles/systems, and also to a centralised wifi router point. Really looking at doing what I can to maximize wired gaming, and maximizing the best and most consistent speed for 2x2 and 3x3 wifi. Even if I won't tap the full 1.3, I WANT IT flowing through my system :-D Just because, lol

Last edited:
Very few 'standards' set and available for the 2.5, 5, and 10Gbps Ports that are backward compatible also with 2.5/5Gbps Port rates.

Another device may work perfectly with the S33, or, the S33 may not work with any device you can obtain at that connection rate.

I'm guessing the 2.5 port on S33 is flashing amber because the connected devices aren't 2.5, but who knows...hell I may even run the one port to the router and the one to the switch. Maybe cut a stop out of the path to the router, as both ports seem to be hot. Sorry, these are all boring questions.

I do see the switch blinking green, so good on the 2.5 modem port. I'll just leave it on there.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!