What's new

Gigabit speed possible with VPN on router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gigabit to public VPN providers? No chance. I have experience with ExpressVPN and NordVPN. Both are "fast" compared to others. PC with i7/i9/Ryzen CPU... doesn't matter. 180-220Mbps is what you usually get.

Public meaning not self managed? Because these are not open to the "public", only to subscribers of the service. But I understand there are many users connecting to the same servers at the same time.

I guess unless I can find a VPN provider that can do more than 250 Mbps then the RT-AX88U would be sufficient.

Does anyone know of a provider that does more than 250 Mbps?

Does anyone know of a provider that does more than 250 Mbps?

There are reports that you can get 800 - 900 Mbps using WireGuard. The long term question is if more people start using WireGuard will the VPN providers be able to support those speeds?

Both Astrill and PIA offer the option to use WireGuard by using their app. I have used Astrill on a PC for several months and it works fine but my ISP connection speed is 200/10 so I don't have anyway of testing to see if I can get download speeds over 250 Mbps.

You could also look at Sabai Technology's web site. Their latest version of their VPN accelerator is claiming speeds of over 800 Mbps are possible. I don't know what VPN provider they are using but it isn't PIA.

If you want to experiment and have a router running Merlin, Astrill makes an app that you can install on your router to use instead of using the Merlin/ASUS VPN clients. I don't know if their app will support WireGuard on certain ASUS router models.

In the past Astrill's VPN installed on a router and it is only in the last few years that with all the useful features Merlin added to the VPN clients has made it hardly worthwhile to go to the bother of installing the Astrill app. However if you want higher speeds this might be an option for you to try. If you do go ahead and successfully get higher speeds report back and let everyone on the forum know.

UPDATE: I just checked with Astrill's support and currently the router app does not support Wire Guard but they are working on it to be released soon.

Last edited:
Using PIA the fastest speeds I've seen over OpenVPN using their client on a PC is in the mid to upper 300's in Mbps. Using my 86U as the client it's around 250-300 Mbps. And then there is WireGuard. This is using the PIA client on my old i5-2500K with WireGuard enabled.

upload_2020-5-13_21-28-22.png

I use OpenVPN on a pfSense router built on a desktop with an Intel Core i7-8700 cpu and regularly get speeds on VPN with both PIA and Torguard close to my gig speed internet.
Capture.PNG

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!