What's new

Gigabit Switch, or Gigabit router and switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Miniman

New Around Here
Hey guys, i have been lurking around the main part of the site for awhile now, but just registered today.
Here is my current setup. (i drew a terrible picture to explain)
networklayout.JPG

Basically i have my 2 machines downstairs, both hardwired directly into the router. Then i have a single Cat5e line going upstairs thats connected to my Desktop, then plugged into my second NIC is the server. (Bridged the connections) The laptop upstairs is wireless right now.

I would like the cheapest way to get the machines upstairs to be gigabit, do i need a gigabit router, or just put a gigabit switch upstairs for those 3 machines? All the upstairs machines have atleast one internal gigabit nic already.

What do you reccomend?
Thanks guys!

You don't have to get a gigabit router to have gigabit between your computers in your local network. The router part is usually 10/100, and even if it's not, it doesn't have to be because the vast majority of Internet service speeds are well under 100 Mb/s. So you can look at a gigabit router as essentially a router with a built-in gigabit switch.

So you can just get one or two gigabit switches to have gigabit in your LAN. The first one for upstairs, and another one optionally for the downstairs computers. Getting two different brands can potentially save you a bit of money via mail-in rebates.

Alright, so lemme get this right - i can keep my current router and just put a gigabit switch upstrairs, and it will be gigabit between my desktop and the server?

Correct, assuming that you're referring to the "Upstairs" desktop.

Line currently Upstairs Desktop<->Router will be Gigabit Switch<->Router, and current upstairs wired devices connect to the switch. All in all, a pretty simple operation--you'd just need a additional CAT5 segment to connect the upstairs desktop to the switch, as the remaining cable runs should be reusable.

Correct, assuming that you're referring to the "Upstairs" desktop.

Line currently Upstairs Desktop<->Router will be Gigabit Switch<->Router, and current upstairs wired devices connect to the switch. All in all, a pretty simple operation--you'd just need a additional CAT5 segment to connect the upstairs desktop to the switch, as the remaining cable runs should be reusable.

Ya i have plenty of cat5 cables that are already made under 10 feet.

So now that i know i only need a Gigabit switch to get this working, whats the best thing i could get from the "Value Menu"

So now that i know i only need a Gigabit switch to get this working, whats the best thing i could get from the "Value Menu"

D-Link switches are a good buy because they are low cost, of reasonable quality (as long as it's not one of their ultra low-end routers), and not a no-name vendor.

Shipping costs may vary depending on your distance from a retailer, but you can expect to purchase a 5-port for about $43, before $10 mail in rebate:

DGS-2205
**Edit: You can get it from Amazon for $37 shipped if you don't mind waiting on USPS.**

I recommend spending a little more and get an 8-port; in the future you may decide to connect all of your devices to the switch. Expect to pay about $55 (@Newegg), before $10 rebate:

DGS-2208

Last edited:
I got two D-Link DES-1105 Switches featuring 5-Ports 10/100mbps for only $9.99 each with no MIR at Fry's :)

Keep in mind that keeping a single link between the upstairs and the downstairs is going to contrain the LAN performance between the floors even if both ends are connected to GigE switches. It really depends on the type of network activity we are talking about. If both the laptop and the desktop on the first floor are trying to push or download large files between themselves and the second floor server, you're going to see some impacts. The only way to alleviate this problem is to either relocate the first floor desktop and laptop to the second floor on the same switch which means all communication between devices will be across the switch's backplane or you'll need to add more physical links between floors in an aggregated setup (ie Etherchannel) to decrease any interswitch bandwidth contention.