What's new

Giving router a unique name for remote syslog server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe the unwanted name isn't even coming from the router but the Pi? Are you using DNSFilter and/or PiHole?

What do you get from:
Code:
nvram show | grep "ac86u-12A3445-Z"

and what do you get from this when run on the Pi.
Code:
nslookup 192.168.1.1

nslookup 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.1
where 192.168.1.1 is the address of your router.

Code:
> nvram show | grep "ac86u-12A3445-Z"
size: 73903 bytes (57169 left)

Code:
> nslookup 192.168.1.1
1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa    name = ac86u.home.lan.

So good tips, but still no clue.

The plot thickens:
Code:
> ps -w | grep syslog
4704 admin      29984 S    /usr/lib/ipsec/charon --use-syslog
30130 admin       3748 S    /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -S -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 256 -l 7 -R ...:514 -L -H ac86u-12A3445-Z
(... is the redacted IP address of my Pi)

Now to discover how syslogd is started and whether I can change that -H parameter...

Any suggestions?

@RMerlin Apologies for pinging you, but do you know how to change that -H parameter (see previous) post when starting syslogd?

After reading this comment by you on an issue I'm afraid it might be hardcoded and I can't configure it?

The plot thickens:
Code:
> ps -w | grep syslog
4704 admin      29984 S    /usr/lib/ipsec/charon --use-syslog
30130 admin       3748 S    /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -S -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 256 -l 7 -R ...:514 -L -H ac86u-12A3445-Z
(... is the redacted IP address of my Pi)

Now to discover how syslogd is started and whether I can change that -H parameter...

Any suggestions?
Good spot. Looking here it appears to be done deliberately to avoid problems with AiMesh setups.

P.S. There's no point redacting an internal private IP address.

@RMerlin Apologies for pinging you, but do you know how to change that -H parameter (see previous) post when starting syslogd?

After reading this comment by you on an issue I'm afraid it might be hardcoded and I can't configure it?

You can't. It's built out of the hostname configured on the LAN page and a GID defined to ensure AiMesh nodes have unique names.

Time to learn more about syslog and try to rewrite that random hostname back to the original on the Pi then...

This seems to do it (and removes the pid, which I was not interested in):

Code:
$template routerLog, "%timestamp% ac86u %programname%:%msg%\n"
:fromhost-ip, isequal, "192.168.1.1" /var/log/router.log;routerLog
& stop

(in /etc/rsyslog.d/router.conf on the Pi)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!