What's new

Google maps on Android can't access internet when connected to my router's VPN server with "LAN only" enabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aerandir14

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I'm currently on version 386.7_2 and I've set a VPN server with "LAN only" enabled.
When connecting my Android smartphone to the VPN server using the "OpenVPN for android" app, I lose internet access only for Google Maps.
This happens only when connecting through 4G network. When connected on my WiFi network (with VPN connected), Google maps works.

The fixes I tried:
- Disabling "Advertise DNS to clients" : did not fix
- Setting "Client will use VPN to access" as "both" : Fixed the issue. However, I would not like to route all the traffic through the VPN as I'm using OpenVPN to access only my NAS when I'm not at home

Does anybody have any idea about how to solve this issue?
Thanks!

Well, you need to allow internet access. LAN only will just get you to LAN clients and Google Maps needs internet access.

Edit: Use Asus Instant Guard. It works well and is simpler than OpenVPN.

Well, you need to allow internet access. LAN only will just get you to LAN clients and Google Maps needs internet access.

Edit: Use Asus Instant Guard. It works well and is simpler than OpenVPN.
Every websites and services work and do get access to the internet, except google maps.
To my understanding, "LAN only" routes the LAN traffic through the VPN. Enabling "both" forces all the traffic to go through the VPN by adding "push redirect-gateway def1" to the server configuration

I think I got it working by enabling IPv6 server mode :)
I noticed that when establishing the connection to the VPN, it was using my WAN IPv6. It made me think that this could be IPv6 related, so I enabled it in the router's settings and now it seems to be working.
Thanks for confirming that it should work. I hope this thread will help someone with the same issue.