What's new

Google search page captcha appearing very often

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

esfu

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have been using ASUS RT-AX92U routers from around three months now with stock firmware. I use DNS over TLS from past few weeks.

I am using the dynamic IP provided by my ISP. This IP does not usually change unless the router is rebooted or changes only once in a few days.

However, from the past few weeks I have been getting Google Captcha page much more frequently on www.google.com.

This captcha page indicates that huge amount of traffic is coming from the IP address and this cannot be true as it was not happening before.

Can it be that using DoT (DNS over TLS) could be causing this captcha to appear ? I am just wild guessing.

If someone can explain me exactly what DoT achieve or how it works, I will appreciate it.

My understanding is that (please correct me if I am wrong)
  1. Google will see my ISP IP address provided to me
  2. DoT will just mean that my ISP will not know that I am visiting www.google.com or ISP perhaps will know only the IP I am visiting without knowing it is www.google.com through my router.
Any help in resolving this captcha issue in case it is due to ASUS Router setting or DoT will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

It’s more likely your IP address is. If you have a Dynamic IP that’s been cycled through many previous connections, or maybe someone that had the IP previously was “up to no good”.

Just some of the problems with Dynamic IP addresses.

You can confirm the above by going to site like myip.com to check every time this happens. I'd also run a monitor like the tbb BQM (or whatever uptime monitor is available in your country) to see if you're getting disconnects you're not aware of.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!