What's new

Google WiFi or Asus OnHub?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wutikorn

I'm looking for a router for my 60 square meters condominium(645.84square feet). There should be about 3-10devices (no more than 3 devices streaming videos at the same time) with 50-100Mbps network. So I think either Google WiFi(single unit) or Asus OnHub will handle this just fine. What I want for this place is just a basic router with long-term support(firmware update) for security reason, but I do not want to use a router too complex as I won't be visiting this place often. Are Google routers secure for basic use? Is there any other option with similar price($80-$100)?

Hardware-wise I think Asus OnHub is more superior both for WiFi(range, which is not necessary) and CPU, having IPQ8064 as compared to IPQ4019 in Google WiFi.

The main problem is the EoL of Asus Onhub. As I mentioned earlier, I prefer constant security updates but Asus OnHub is older, yet the CPU is newer. Since the CPUs are at least the same brand(Qualcomm), will it be hard for Google to keep both OnHub and Google WiFi up-to-date? Do you think Onhub EoL will come very soon considering it is not as popular as Google WiFi? I expect at least 3-years update. Should I be getting Google WiFi(single unit) or any other router?

Thanks in advance!

Don't buy an EOL router for sure, you'll be left with swiss cheese if new security issues are discovered.

The main problem is the EoL of Asus Onhub.

Go with the Google branded devices if one is going to do google's cloud stuff - simply put...

I'm looking for a router for my 60 square meters condominium(645.84square feet). There should be about 3-10 devices (no more than 3 devices streaming videos at the same time) with 50-100Mbps network.

You might be fine with your broadband provider's all-in-one solution - not a lot of footprint to cover, and CPE offered is getting better there...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!