What's new

Got new Asus Tuf FX705 Want to upgrade my Realtek 8821CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC already!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike Robichaud

Occasional Visitor
Want to upgrade my wifi card but I don't know what card would replace it in this new Laptop. Talked to ASUS tonight and he said that he did not know of a card but he did know that my computer can go 2X2 instead of 1X1 . Now this is the card that I am using : Realtek 8821CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC. I get speeds of about 150-190mbs on a 2 GIG Line. This is done right next to the router. When hooked upon the router. I can only get up to 500's....sucks!!!!!
If anybody knows of a card I can upgrade I would apppreciate that quite a bit!!!!!!! :(
Kinda sad upgrading this computer to another 8 gigs ram and one new 1TB SSD and can't get fast speeds like I used to have with my lenovo Y700.
Thank you!

TUF FX705: AMD Ryzen 7 3750H, 512GB SSD, Nvidia GTX 1650, 17.3" Full HD

When you had the laptop apart to upgrade the RAM did you notice two wires (one black and one white) coming out from underneath the SSD in the M.2 slot? That's where the wireless card should be in your laptop and these wires would be the Wi-Fi antennas. Only one of the wires would actually be connected to your current card since it only supports one transmit/receive chain and one spatial stream (1x1:1).

If there are two antennas then you could swap out the card for a 2x2:2 model. Take the wireless module out first and see what it is. It should be NGFF form factor. You could replace the card with a 2x2:2 model from Realtek or swap to an Intel card which doesn't require CNVio.

HI!!!!!! OH my god, these have been the most frustrating few days :) hehehe...yes I have the Black and white cable on my PC-e card. here is the pic. I don't know if it is a Mini? So what Cards could I buy that would rock my laptop. Like on the side of Intel or Realtek that would work with the Asus TUF FX705 Ryzen 7/??? Thank you so much!!!!!!

Attachments

• 20190827_084803.jpg
    20190827_084803.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,307
  • 20190827_084839.jpg
    20190827_084839.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,993
  • 20190827_084808.jpg
    20190827_084808.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,282
Dual Band Intel 9260NGW 9260ac 802.11ac 1.73Gbps Wifi BT 5.0 NGFF Wireless Card

Do you think that I can run this card? My 8821CE is a NGFF Dual band?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/192403889298?ViewItem=&item=192403889298

Yeah, that one should work. You should also be able to use an Intel AX200 card which might not cost much more money and would support a draft of the upcoming 802.11ax standard.
You could also use a RTL8822BE and might not even need to install new drivers.

Here is a list of known NGFF 2230 cards on WikiDevi which might work if you can find them.

First ask Asus if WiFi-card is locked in Bios and only some few will be supported on your laptop.
I am running Intel 9260NGW in a PCIe adapter on my PC with no troubles and >=1Gb/s speed.

First ask Asus if WiFi-card is locked in Bios and only some few will be supported on your laptop.
I am running Intel 9260NGW in a PCIe adapter on my PC with no troubles and >=1Gb/s speed.

Unlikely to be the case. I used to have an Asus laptop, and I quickly ditched the crappy Azurewave for an Intel card back then.

Thank you for all the help everybody! I have been on the phone with Asus 3 times, on Chat with them 3 times, on Chat with Best Buy, On Telephone with Best Buy. Nobody wants to give me a clue on what upgrade I can make. It is as if they are stupid. I remember a few years back when the First Android Tablet came out TRANSFORMER. I had got one and the WIFI was shirtty and there were problems of GPS and the Gorilla Case would crack if dropped a few inches. It is like that. I can't beleive they put a stupid cheap card like that in a Gaming Laptop TUF. I ordered 2 wifi cards, the 9260 and the AX200. The only good thing that Asus did tell me was that if I put in a new card, that it is not really Bios Locked. They said you might have to reinstall Windows 10 as each adapter/equipment is attached to Windows 10. But said most likely that is the worst that can happen. So hopefully those 2 cards, one will work and I will be able to have fun again on the web. I can't stand 150mb/s speed. the funniest thing is that my upload is 200.... My sons Acer Helios is hitting almost 800mb/s and he is far from the router. My old Lenovo Y700 used to hit in the 700's. Oh well. Thank you all you great people. I thnk you so much.

Thank you for all the help everybody! I have been on the phone with Asus 3 times, on Chat with them 3 times, on Chat with Best Buy, On Telephone with Best Buy. Nobody wants to give me a clue on what upgrade I can make. It is as if they are stupid. I remember a few years back when the First Android Tablet came out TRANSFORMER. I had got one and the WIFI was shirtty and there were problems of GPS and the Gorilla Case would crack if dropped a few inches. It is like that. I can't beleive they put a stupid cheap card like that in a Gaming Laptop TUF. I ordered 2 wifi cards, the 9260 and the AX200. The only good thing that Asus did tell me was that if I put in a new card, that it is not really Bios Locked. They said you might have to reinstall Windows 10 as each adapter/equipment is attached to Windows 10. But said most likely that is the worst that can happen. So hopefully those 2 cards, one will work and I will be able to have fun again on the web. I can't stand 150mb/s speed. the funniest thing is that my upload is 200.... My sons Acer Helios is hitting almost 800mb/s and he is far from the router. My old Lenovo Y700 used to hit in the 700's. Oh well. Thank you all you great people. I thnk you so much.

Now ASUS on Facebook is telling me that I can use this card.
Wireless AC 9560 9560NGW 802.11ac 2.4G 5G WiFi Bluetooth NGFF M.2 Card CRF CNVi

Thanks for your patience, Michael. Based on your inquiry, you can try the Intel 9560ac card. However, modifying your device is not something we assist with and done at your own risk.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wireless-AC...041365?hash=item3407da3915:g:5C0AAOSwuHdcpNOE

1733Mbps Intel 9560 9560NGW Wireless-AC NGFF Key E BT5.0 Wifi Card +MHF4 Antenna

I am stupid here sorry, but This card has 2 sets of teeth to go into the M.2 slot. Compared to the one that I have right now has 3. Will this 2 teeth one work? Does a 2 teeth go into the M.2 slot. Thanks
Thank you following up with us Michael. Based on further review of the case their appears to be a slight misunderstanding. We are seeking further clarification from the team as these devices are using different keys. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you following up with us Michael. Based on further review of the case their appears to be a slight misunderstanding. We are seeking further clarification from the team as these devices are using different keys. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
As mentioned previously, the 9560 model is CNVio which means you need a certain Intel CPU and chipset on the motherboard. You have an AMD CPU so you cannot use it.

Can't wait to see what they will come up with next. Thank god, I have you guys.

So now they have come back with this info they needed.
Thank you for providing that information. The image that we are requesting is the slot that the card goes in. Can you provide us with a clear image of that part on the motherboard?
Aren't they the manufacturers of this board? or this Laptop? of this model? Did I get the wrong Board? I sent her pictures and will share here...Dunno why they want to know this but they better in the end Ship me FEDEX a new card that rocks even tho I bought 2 cards already from China.

Attachments

• 20190828_144207.jpg
    20190828_144207.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 20190828_144205.jpg
    20190828_144205.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 917
Yeah, 1x1:1 802.11ac @ 433Mbps is "nearly" three times faster than 1x1:1 802.11n @ 150Mbps. It's a meaningless marketing statement.
So now they have come back with this info they needed.
Thank you for providing that information. The image that we are requesting is the slot that the card goes in. Can you provide us with a clear image of that part on the motherboard?
why are they asking to see that? They are the makers of the board. They know the model. They have the Schematics not I ;)
thanks as always to respond to me.

What do you think they are trying to do with me? Are they trying to figure out if I can get a new card? If I got the wrong card? the wrong Motherboard? Because at this point what and why are they helping me out? I have the info from you. I even explained to them that I got 3 choices for new wifi Cards. Are they checking if something will work? or just loosing my time? hehee...I might be doing that to you as well...sorry. thanks for your help!

As mentioned previously, the 9560 model is CNVio which means you need a certain Intel CPU and chipset on the motherboard. You have an AMD CPU so you cannot use it.
Thanks for that information and your patience. The Dual Band Intel 9260NGW 9260ac and the Intel AX200 are compatible with the device. However, installing the cards is done at your own risk.

What card would be the best one the Intel AX200? or the 9260ac? thank you for all the help.

Asus responded: No, you will not have to format your unit.
So will use the AX200. I read on one add in Amazon that the AX200 runs only with Intel CPU's? Is this correct? or just not true?
Asus said it would work...and you did as well. Just to confirm. Thank again.

you will read it in your ebay link too!
Note:
  • It does not support Windows XP/ Vista/ 7/ 8/ 8.1, Mac
  • It does not support HP/ IBM/ Lenovo computer, Not work with AMD motherboard
And on amazon:
Warning:
Make Sure Mother Board Have NGFF A/E Key for WiFi Adapter
Only works on Intel CPU/Processor, NOT for AMD Platform.

Wi-Fi Speed May vary depends on user’s wireless network condition.

And this will be the same with 9260NGW card, not compatible with AMD!

Your Azurewave should be fine for AC1200 speed 2x2 MU-MiMo.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/AzureWave_AW-CM308NF

In manual I found your card only uses 5G ch. 36-140, not 149+
Last pages: https://dustinweb.azureedge.net/media/367769/rog-strix-gl503ge.pdf
Are you connected via 5G or only 2.4G on your laptop???

Read here on INTEL forum about AMD incompatibility (or compatibility) issues.

I cant say it will work or not, you have to test on your own!
https://forums.intel.com/s/question...eless-ac9260-not-support-ryzen?language=en_US

PS: never heard about the need to reformat anything after HW-changes of any cards.

Last edited: