What's new

gotta love merlin's VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
Before merlin's firmware my router would have to be rebooted everytime I changed VPN locations because of my pppoe requirements.Now it doesn't need to be.Was I missing something when I was using Asus firmware or is it in fact merlin's firmware? If so thanks again it used to be a pain

Last edited:
Before merlin's firmware my router would have to be rebooted everytime I changed VPN locations because of my pppoe requirements.Now it doesn't need to be.Was I missing something when I was using Asus firmware or is it in fact merlin's firmware? If so thanks again it used to be a pain
You could always buy him a beer for his efforts. RMerlin uses a different VPN client server software (you would notice when comparing the GUIs of the 2 firmwares).

Part of the problem with the stock asus firmware was that some asus specific features would peg the router's resources, like when you specified a networking bigger than 255 devices which is how i got my asus AC88U at half price when it was new

You could always buy him a beer for his efforts. RMerlin uses a different VPN client server software (you would notice when comparing the GUIs of the 2 firmwares).

Part of the problem with the stock asus firmware was that some asus specific features would peg the router's resources, like when you specified a networking bigger than 255 devices which is how i got my asus AC88U at half price when it was new
I firmly believe in denoting something after every firmware revision I mean I'm not rich so it's not usually much but at least he knows we appreciate his efforts plus I'm sure all the little bits add up to new routers plus a little beer money

RMerlin uses a different VPN client server software (you would notice when comparing the GUIs of the 2 firmwares).

Story-time...

I did the initial port of the Tomato OpenVPN code into Asuswrt-Merlin. Ported the C code, and wrote the whole webui code. Eventually, Asus took that code, added it to the stock firmware, and added a few changes of their own. They wrote the code to import an ovpn config file, they also replaced my advanced Client UI with their own simplified UI code, and integrated it with PPTP and L2TP VPN clients. I picked their ovpn import code, but kept my more advanced web interface.

That Tomato code was under a licence from its original author (Keith Moyer). At the time I had asked (and received) his permission to reuse the code. Asus on their end added a README containing Keith's Copyright disclaimer.

Over time I kept OpenVPN up-to-date, migrating to 2.4.x when it came out, and adding the 2.4.x specific features. Asus kept it at 2.3.x. I also implemented routing policies, while Asus on their end went down a different path with their VPN Fusion implementation.

With firmware 382.xx, Asus rewrote most of the OpenVPN code, and made it closed source.

At that point, I decided (out of necessity since it was now closed source) to just keep going down my own path with the OpenVPN support. That's why our two implementations are gradually diverging more and more. I kept going on with my RPDB-based policy routing, and Asus on their end have VPN Fusion. I also spent some time simplifying a bit the webui settings, since I no longer had to keep them all in sync with Asus's own implementation.

I know Asus has finally upgraded to OpenVPN 2.4.x for the next versions (from what I saw in recent GPLs - no choice for them since it will be required when they move to OpenSSL 1.1.x). However so far they don't seem to have implemented any of the new 2.4.x features, like NCP or LZ4 compression.

Story-time...

I did the initial port of the Tomato OpenVPN code into Asuswrt-Merlin. Ported the C code, and wrote the whole webui code. Eventually, Asus took that code, added it to the stock firmware, and added a few changes of their own. They wrote the code to import an ovpn config file, they also replaced my advanced Client UI with their own simplified UI code, and integrated it with PPTP and L2TP VPN clients. I picked their ovpn import code, but kept my more advanced web interface.

That Tomato code was under a licence from its original author (Keith Moyer). At the time I had asked (and received) his permission to reuse the code. Asus on their end added a README containing Keith's Copyright disclaimer.

Over time I kept OpenVPN up-to-date, migrating to 2.4.x when it came out, and adding the 2.4.x specific features. Asus kept it at 2.3.x. I also implemented routing policies, while Asus on their end went down a different path with their VPN Fusion implementation.

With firmware 382.xx, Asus rewrote most of the OpenVPN code, and made it closed source.

At that point, I decided (out of necessity since it was now closed source) to just keep going down my own path with the OpenVPN support. That's why our two implementations are gradually diverging more and more. I kept going on with my RPDB-based policy routing, and Asus on their end have VPN Fusion. I also spent some time simplifying a bit the webui settings, since I no longer had to keep them all in sync with Asus's own implementation.

I know Asus has finally upgraded to OpenVPN 2.4.x for the next versions (from what I saw in recent GPLs - no choice for them since it will be required when they move to OpenSSL 1.1.x). However so far they don't seem to have implemented any of the new 2.4.x features, like NCP or LZ4 compression.
Great work thanks Eric