What's new

Grouping 2 RT-AC66U in one wifi network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pierre91

New Around Here
Hi guys, happy new year

I have 2 RT-AC66U (Last Asus wrt firmware). I want only one global Wifi network in my 3 floors house using these 2 routers as a group. This will allow using any Wifi connected device from both of these routers, no matter on which one i am connected to.
I will connect both routers to the Internet box switch with LAN cables. So i won’t use repeater functionality.

How i connect both of them from the router ? From each router Wan port or one of the switch port ?

And which method i need to configure to obtain only one intercommunicating network where each connected device can access to any other one, whatever router it is accessing through Wifi or Lan?

Thanks for your help !
Pierre

Hi guys, happy new year

I have 2 RT-AC66U (Last Asus wrt firmware). I want only one global Wifi network in my 3 floors house using these 2 routers as a group. This will allow using any Wifi connected device from both of these routers, no matter on which one i am connected to.
I will connect both routers to the Internet box switch with LAN cables. So i won’t use repeater functionality.

How i connect both of them from the router ? From each router Wan port or one of the switch port ?

And which method i need to configure to obtain only one intercommunicating network where each connected device can access to any other one, whatever router it is accessing through Wifi or Lan?

Thanks for your help !
Pierre

Browse to the router IP address and login to its webUI. How you can use them is shown on the Administration tab. If they support AiMesh (AC66U_B*), you can use them in an AiMesh (AP Mode) with separate WiFI SSIDs per band. If they don't support AiMesh, you can wire them to your router as Access Points (APs) with separate SSIDs per band (same SSID-24 and same SSID-50 across APs) and different fixed, least congested, non-DFS channels.

If you don't have a router, one will be your router and the other an AiMesh remote node or non-AiMesh AP. Search Asus FAQs at the bottom of the webUI for detailed help/instructions.

My install notes may offer some setup clues for AiMesh and basic router configuration. Be sure to install latest released firmware and then reset it before configuring it.

OE

Last edited:
Ozark and L&LD : Thanks for your help. :)

Both RT-AC66U are not with AiMesh. I will use AP configuration for both Asus while you both reflect it is the most logical way to obtain a global WiFi network.

I will LAN wire both Asus to my provider original router switch (an NB6 box installed behind the outside fiber to Lan converter by my actual SFR french provider).

At the other side (Asus router), do i connect to the Wan port or one of the internal switch port for this AP mode? :rolleyes:

Pierre

Ozark and L&LD : Thanks for your help. :)

Both RT-AC66U are not with AiMesh. I will use AP configuration for both Asus while you both reflect it is the most logical way to obtain a global WiFi network.

I will LAN wire both Asus to my provider original router switch (an NB6 box installed behind the outside fiber to Lan converter by my actual SFR french provider).

At the other side (Asus router), do i connect to the Wan port or one of the internal switch port for this AP mode? :rolleyes:

Pierre

Wire the AP WAN to the router LAN, like any other LAN client.

OE

Last edited:
In AP mode, i wired the router LAN to the Asus WAN, but it didn’t worked, probably because AP mode don’t consider this port.
I moved router to one of the Asus Lan port and all was OK. I affected different WiFi channels (2.4g and 5g too) for each with the same SSID for both and the WiFi is unique now for all of the house. Moving through the house is transparent. I don´t have to swich to the router with our LAN wired printer anymore when printing is needed. And i created a guest open WiFi for visitors.
Thanks guys!

In AP mode, i wired the router LAN to the Asus WAN, but it didn’t worked, probably because AP mode don’t consider this port.
I moved router to one of the Asus Lan port and all was OK. I affected different WiFi channels (2.4g and 5g too) for each with the same SSID for both and the WiFi is unique now for all of the house. Moving through the house is transparent. I don´t have to swich to the router with our LAN wired printer anymore when printing is needed. And i created a guest open WiFi for visitors.
Thanks guys!

I guess wire it as it works.

Beware guest WLANs broadcasting from an AP may not be properly isolated from your non-guest LAN/WLANs. Also, I would secure your guest WLANs and give your guests the password unless you have a ton of guests/customers. You don't want strangers poking around your open network and using your Internet service.

OE

I thought LAN isolation was complete for my LAN. I will add a password to it.
Thanks for all of your help !
Pierre

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!