What's new

GT-AC 5300 backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gregh

Regular Contributor
if I run a router backup does it also backup the static IP table? I want to be able to save this info so when I do a firmware update and it reset this static page i can do a restore of this table? OR is there a way to backup just the static IP's i have created so it can be restored if I loose it?

Yes, it will back up the entire router's configuration.

However, if you restore this backup, you will have effectively undone the reset you performed.

I don't think there is anything available for your GT model, today. But the supported RMerlin models can use many useful scripts, such as @Jack Yaz's YazDHCP script.

(1) YazDHCP - feature expansion of DHCP assignments (increasing limit on the number of DHCP reservations) | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

You may want to keep abreast of how the development goes for the 'experimentally' RMerlin supported GT-AC2900 pans out. If successful, your model may be included too in the future. :)

About | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Just ssh to router and backup the config by using nvram show
Relevant part is dhcp_staticlist=<00:11:00:00:11:16>192.168.1.16><00:11:00:00:11:17>192.168.1.17>
I know > is confusing, but it has some logic easy to follow.
Router does restart once you click on "Enable Port Forwarding" and you may need to create a static entry prior you manually restoring all entries.
As L&LD is saying, restoring full config from a previous release kinda defeats the purpose of a factory reset. You can restore only small pieces of config, only ones you're sure it does't get "too deep".
At least that's the way I'm restoring DHCP reservations and the similar for port forwarding. It never changed in many years of using Asus devices, no matter the firmware.
nvram commit at the end.

Yes, it will back up the entire router's configuration.

However, if you restore this backup, you will have effectively undone the reset you performed.

I don't think there is anything available for your GT model, today. But the supported RMerlin models can use many useful scripts, such as @Jack Yaz's YazDHCP script.

(1) YazDHCP - feature expansion of DHCP assignments (increasing limit on the number of DHCP reservations) | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

You may want to keep abreast of how the development goes for the 'experimentally' RMerlin supported GT-AC2900 pans out. If successful, your model may be included too in the future. :)

About | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)
Thanks L&LD, you were very helpful with my last issues a while back. I thought the merlin was not going to support the GT version of my router at all. I was heart broken when i found that out,. I only bought this version because it had 8 ports on the back and had more ram.

Just ssh to router and backup the config by using nvram show
Relevant part is dhcp_staticlist=<00:11:00:00:11:16>192.168.1.16><00:11:00:00:11:17>192.168.1.17>
I know > is confusing, but it has some logic easy to follow.
Router does restart once you click on "Enable Port Forwarding" and you may need to create a static entry prior you manually restoring all entries.
As L&LD is saying, restoring full config from a previous release kinda defeats the purpose of a factory reset. You can restore only small pieces of config, only ones you're sure it does't get "too deep".
At least that's the way I'm restoring DHCP reservations and the similar for port forwarding. It never changed in many years of using Asus devices, no matter the firmware.
nvram commit at the end.
ok thanks, but not sure how to do that,. is there a step by step guide anywhere on how to show backup and restore this table? going to be a new thing for me to do this. thx for helping

To my surprise, Asus released firmware for the GT-AC5300... it's 386_41793. I updated mine last night.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!