What's new

Solved GT-AX11000 drops WAN connection / crashes every 6-36 hours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zombeeh8er

Occasional Visitor
I recently upgraded to the 388.6_2 firmware on my GT-AX11000. I've been using it for about 2 weeks on this version and I'm about ready to chuck the thing out the window.
Without fail every 12-36 hours or so, I experience some kind of quiet failure, nothing in the system log that points out an obvious issue.
The router drops the WAN connection, and many of the wireless devices get disconnected from the network and don't reconnect until the router has been rebooted (which of course restores the WAN connection). Local routing also stops, I get disconnected on a local ssh connection to my NAS. It's really starting to get on my nerves. Everything was perfectly fine before I upgraded my firmware (really makes me wonder why did I even bother updating?). Was using it for 6-8 months without any problems before the update.
So, I reverted to 388.5 (which was the previous version I was running) and surprise surprise, I'm still experiencing this issue.

Things I have tried so far (in that order):
  1. Factory reset while still using 388.6_2, did nothing
  2. Factory reset once before downgrading firmware
  3. Downgrade firmware to 388.5
  4. Factory reset TWICE again after the downgrade, still nothing...
I have not tried flashing back to stock firmware. Is this something I should try?
I should note that I got this router used from a friend who was upgrading his network, and I was experiencing a similar issue, but a factory reset fixed it then. Why not now?
Anyone have suggestions? I don't know what to try next, little new to networking still so trying to figure it out is kind of a nightmare so far...
I can provide a copy of the syslog if needed.

Last edited:
I have not tried flashing back to stock firmware. Is this something I should try?

I would definitely test with stock Asuswrt firmware. If the same issues - perhaps something wrong with the router.

I would definitely test with stock Asuswrt firmware. If the same issues - perhaps something wrong with the router.
Alright I'll give this a try tonight.
In the event that stock firmware exhibits the same problem, is there anything else I might try? Not totally convinced something is "wrong" with it because it worked fine before I updated to the most recent firmware... but who knows...
Been reading about fomatting the JFFS partition? Would that do anything or does that already happen when you factory reset?

After the resets, are you importing an old backup config file?

What are some features/options you're enabling? Maybe that is the issue.

What are some features/options you're enabling? Maybe that is the issue.
AiMesh, DNS Director, DOS Protection, Port Forwarding. Everything is mostly stock. Couple of devices have a static IP.
I disabled the second 5GHz wifi radio, because I don't need it, using wired backhaul for my AiMesh system.
I also have my traffic monitor set up to save history to a usb drive, just so I can track how much data I use (saving every 12 hours).
Not using DFS channels either, I read that could cause problems.

This is not causing your WAN disconnections.

Does it ever happen on or about the time your data is being saved every 12 hours?
That's a good question... not something I thought to pay attention to. Are there set hours of the day when it saves (noon, midnight, etc)?
I feel like it's kind of random when it happens. Like this morning it dropped the connection at about 9am after only 6 hours of uptime because of a scheduled reboot at 3am.

AiMesh, DNS Director, DOS Protection, Port Forwarding. Everything is mostly stock. Couple of devices have a static IP.
I disabled the second 5GHz wifi radio, because I don't need it, using wired backhaul for my AiMesh system.
I also have my traffic monitor set up to save history to a usb drive, just so I can track how much data I use (saving every 12 hours).
Not using DFS channels either, I read that could cause problems.

Yes, you're doing a full reset. Then changing a lot of options/features past defaults. This is not the way.

At least, not the way to find what the issue is.

Rebooting usually just masks a problem or problems. There is no need to do that on a functioning network.

Is that a bad idea/unneccessary?

If everything is working properly scheduled reboots are not needed.

Seems like you pick someone else's settings and ideas and copy to your router settings. Don't do this.

Rebooting usually just masks a problem or problems. There is no need to do that on a functioning network.
Ok, noted.
If everything is working properly scheduled reboots are not needed.

Seems like you pick someone else's settings and ideas and copy to your router settings. Don't do this.
Wasn't copying anyone's settings... for some reason I was just running with the mentality that "it's a computer and should be rebooted every so often".

As I mentioned previously I'm not the most experienced with networking stuff yet. I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Monitor the logs, try to catch what is causing the crashes. Keep close to default settings for now.