What's new

GT-AX11000 Port Forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tangmu314

Occasional Visitor
I have GT-AX11000 and it works fine. I have some Amcrest security cameras connected via wifi. In order to view the cameras remotely, I have forwarded the RTSP Port on each of them to an external port. I do this by going to the UPnP menu on the camera, entering an external RTSP port number, then pressing "save" and "refresh". This sets the port forward on my AX11000, with UPnP enabled on the router. This works, and I can view the cameras from outside the network using the external port number I entered.
However, I had to replace a camera, and the new camera setup menu doesn't let me set a port forward. So I'd like to do it on the router. I've read instructions several places, and I still can't figure it out. I can't even find the menu location where the existing forwards are listed.
Can you someone give me some very clear instructions on how to accomplish this? I'm on the latest FW, and in the US. For a given (fixed) IP, I'd like to forward RTSP Port 554 to some 5-digit number I make up. Thanks

Assuming your GT-AX11000 is like the other Asus routers you should be able to confirm the current forwarding rules (manual and UPnP) at System Log > Port Forwarding.

To create a manual port forwarding rule go to WAN > Virtual Server / Port Forwarding . Select the IP address of your camera, set the external port to something obscure like 53752, and set the local port to 554. Choose the protocol, TCP or UDP, as appropriate.

Thanks! Nice and simple. I was able to find the existing forwards and add my new one.
I notice the other cameras which forwarded themselves forwarded 5 ports, which is unnecessary. Just port 554 needs to forward. Does it matter they forwarded all their ports? Is that like a drain on resources or security risk? Thanks again.

There wouldn't be a resource issue, but there could well be a security issue. Especially if that make of camera is known to expose a certain range of external port numbers. See if there's a way in the camera setup to turn off the forwarding of the unnecessary ports. If that's not possible it might be better to disable UPnP on the cameras and setup manual port forward rules just for RTSP.

Thanks. I can turn off the forwarding of other ports on the camera, so I'll do that. I'm not sure how the other ports ended up forwarded, but it was probably me a year ago trying to figure out how to make it work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!