What's new

Gt-ax11000 slow lan transfers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJones

Very Senior Member
Greeting so I’m trying to see what could be slowing down my smb transfers.

I have a gt-ax11000 and a NAS both are
connected via 2.5gbe full duplex lan directly. From my computer -> to router -> to nas I only get around 40MBps max with my windows computer being on AX wifi a few feet away.

But by direct connection to NAS using its secondary lan direct 2.5gbe connection on NAS to my computers 10gbe lan I get up words of 300 MBps (not confusing Mbits for Mbytes).

I also tested my NAS to Router (LAN) using iperf3 and was only getting 52.625Mbytes/s.

By connected to lan only no wifi the Windows computer -> Router -> NAS gets around 90MBps full duplex going through a 1Gbe connection instead because the router only has a single 2.5gbe port the windows computer would need to use one of the 1Gbe ports dropping speeds.

I was under the assumption that AX wifi was half - duplex, but after doing some reading I was incorrect as Multi-User MIMO / OFDMA UP/DL appears to be full-duplex. So I thought initially that I was losing half of the 90 that I was getting when wired in.

So my issue is I’m getting considerably less then what I’d get if used wired Ethernet with no router 300MBps drops down to 90MBps when using router wired, but further drops down to 40MBps when wireless AX in any range is used.

Spanning Tree Protocol is disabled has I don’t want it being the cause of my port speeds being cut in half.

Well wireless turning could be used to maybe sort out the AX to close to 90MBps in ideal conditions what I’d like to figure out if why the throughput is being cut considerably from LAN wired into the router as it’s not reaching at least full 1Gbe speeds.

Using CAT 8 patch cables,

Routers running version 386.4 same issue on earlier versions.

[Edited question after further testing was done.]

Last edited:
What speeds do you get with an Ethernet connection from your PC to the router rather than WiFi?

What speeds do you get with an Ethernet connection from your PC to the router rather than WiFi?

My NAS runs Ubuntu and using iperf3 from router to NAS it says 52.625Mbytes/s. The router was acting as a server in this test.

NAS to Windows pc direct I get 200+ MBps with a windows file transfer (11gb movie) on cat 8 eth set to 2.5gbe full duplex.

Same 11gb movie over wifi using the router to nas is between 30-50MBps using windows file transfer or robocopy

I don’t have iperf3 on windows to test and running a samba server off the router to test would make it dependent on the usb speeds.

I also have another device connected via ax mesh bridge to 1gbps lan with the node having great signal reporting 1441 RX/TX transmissions speeds with -52dBi, but only getting transfer speeds around 40MBps on the same 11gb movie. These tests are reading from the NAS each time. Each device I’m writing too has NVMe ssd’s with significant free space.

Exception being iperf3 being the server on the router means I’m likely writing to the router.

I believe wifi is half duplex so I know their would be some performance hit.

My conclusion is the router is bottlenecking my NAS but it reports 2.5gbe lan on the router. It’s not limited by QoS.

Last edited:
NAS to Windows pc direct I get 200+ MBps with a windows file transfer (11gb movie) on cat 8 eth set to 2.5gbe full duplex.
Just to be clear, I'm asking what the Windows transfer speeds are when going wired from PC to router and router to NAS. So not connecting the PC directly to the NAS's secondary LAN port. Is going via the router where you're getting 200+ MBps?

P.S. I'm deliberately ignoring iperf numbers as I've found they can be wildly misleading in certain circumstances.

Just to be clear, I'm asking what the Windows transfer speeds are when going wired from PC to router and router to NAS. So not connecting the PC directly to the NAS's secondary LAN port. Is this where you're getting 200+ MBps?

P.S. I'm deliberately ignoring iperf numbers as I've found they can be wildly misleading in certain circumstances.
Pc - router - NAS via lan will be slower then 200MBps because that’s going 1gbps to router to 2.5gbe to NAS. Router only has 1 2.5gbe port.

200MBps was direct nas to windows no router using secondary eth on NAS to a different ip range from the router. 169.x.x.x

I’ll test direct in a min but it should still be around 40MBps if I’m correct as I don’t believe it’s a issue involving wifi but I’ll happily see if it’s above that.