What's new

GT-AX6000 - some devices cannot connect via WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SuperTeeJay

Occasional Visitor
Hello folks,

I have two relatively modern devices - a Kindle Paperwhite 5th gen and a Canon wireless laser printer - that cannot connect to my GT-AX6000. There's nothing helpful in the logs and I've tried things such as splitting the SSID for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks, using different encryption standards, using WPS instead of an SSID/password, disabling beamforming (which was suggested somewhere) and resetting the network settings on the devices.

Connection attempts on 388.1 would time out after a minute or two, while on 388.2 I am immediately receiving a 'wrong password' error. The password is absolutely, positively not wrong. And the devices work as I was using them on a Netgear router before buying the Asus.

So I'm a bit stumped. Has anyone else encountered this?

Hello folks,

I have two relatively modern devices - a Kindle Paperwhite 5th gen and a Canon wireless laser printer - that cannot connect to my GT-AX6000. There's nothing helpful in the logs and I've tried things such as splitting the SSID for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks, using different encryption standards, using WPS instead of an SSID/password, disabling beamforming (which was suggested somewhere) and resetting the network settings on the devices.

Connection attempts on 388.1 would time out after a minute or two, while on 388.2 I am immediately receiving a 'wrong password' error. The password is absolutely, positively not wrong. And the devices work as I was using them on a Netgear router before buying the Asus.

So I'm a bit stumped. Has anyone else encountered this?
Have you tried deleting and re-entering the clients network data?

Make sure you are using 2.4, disable 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode and use WPA2-Personal. I had similar issues at first and these things were what worked for older devices.

Thanks both - I've just tried those potential fixes but had no luck.

The Kindle not working is odd as it's a September 2021 model and a lot newer than some of my other wireless devices.

Pretty odd that there was a change in behavior between 388.1 and 388.2. I've had no problems, even with old 2.4 GHz N devices. There are other wireless settings that may be worth disabling on the router. These include airtime fairness, AC MU-MIMO, DFS channels, and 160 MHz. These are all disabled on mine. But if you are seeing a message about incorrect password, I'm not sure these will make a difference. Have you looked at the logs when one of these devices tries to connect?

Hello folks,

I have two relatively modern devices - a Kindle Paperwhite 5th gen and a Canon wireless laser printer - that cannot connect to my GT-AX6000.

Do you mean Kindle Paperwhite 5 (11th generation?) Asking because the Kindle paperwhite 5th generation is over 10 years old.

Right, the problem is fixed - I switched to a standard other than WPA2-Personal, switched it back and now the older devices can connect. I suppose it was a corrupt config that a factory reset would have flushed out.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Right, the problem is fixed - I switched to a standard other than WPA2-Personal, switched it back and now the older devices can connect. I suppose it was a corrupt config that a factory reset would have flushed out.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.
I have exactly this problem with my RT-AX86U mesh nodes. Some 2.4Ghz devices will connect to my RT-AX88U main router, but simply refuse to connect to the nodes. If I switch to a different WiFi authentication method and then switch back it is resolved. I occasionally have to repeat the 'fix' after updating router firmware or sometimes following a router reboot.