What's new

GT-AX6000 vs GT-AXE16000 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For those in the market for one ... the GT-AXE16000 is available for ordering on Amazon again with delivery date range late July - August.

I made the mistake of selling my RT-AX86U to a friend and trying the Linksys MR7500. Thought I could save a few bucks and get the WiFi6E functionality.

Dumb mistake. The Linksys firmware sucks. The 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands are noticeably slower than the RT-AX86U.

The GT-AXE16000 can't get in stock soon enough at this point. Sucks I missed the last batch that became available middle of June. Could easily be 4-6 weeks before we see this available again. :(

Understandably issues get posted and product is recently released, yet watching the 16000 Owners Thread, and reading issues with dl/ul speeds etc is sad.
Getting the initial gremlins removed should improve the 16000, and hope this won't be another RT-AX89U situation.
Currently having zero issues with my 6000 running RMerlin FW ;)

Understandably issues get posted and product is recently released, yet watching the 16000 Owners Thread, and reading issues with dl/ul speeds etc is sad.
Getting the initial gremlins removed should improve the 16000, and hope this won't be another RT-AX89U situation.
Currently having zero issues with my 6000 running RMerlin FW ;)
To be fair, not everyone is having d/l u/l issues. Although I can't check u/l over 40Mb as I have gig cable, my speeds have been rock steady at 1170/42 since I brought my 16000 online. My overall topology is pretty basic, with three RT-AX86U nodes in an AIMesh configuration, with wireless backhaul for the moment. I expect there are going to teething issues with this model. I'm hopeful that, with a few rounds of FW updates, these initial issues will get sorted.

GT-AXE16000 is super expensive (over 700€ in EU) but what are the real alternatives? Seems all other options lack something what 16000 has. Dual 10G WAN/LAN ports are in QNAP QHora-301W, however it lacks other areas like bad coverage and slower WiFi speed, and not 6E.
Then there are bunch of 6E routers and all of them without 10G. My current router (WiFi 5/ac) has been in use for ~5 years so I want to do long-term investment.

My ISP is already offering 10G Internet but haven't upgraded yet, mostly as I've been waiting for *the* router device, and GT16000 could be it while improving everything else, plenty of WiFi 6 devices already in household, including 1x mobile phone with 6E

@AnClar
I'm just rationalizing my not buying a 16000.
Also, waiting for that Special FW to drop (Hopefully), and trying not to read anything in This Post ;)

GT-AXE16000 is super expensive (over 700€ in EU) but what are the real alternatives? Seems all other options lack something what 16000 has. Dual 10G WAN/LAN ports are in QNAP QHora-301W, however it lacks other areas like bad coverage and slower WiFi speed, and not 6E.
Then there are bunch of 6E routers and all of them without 10G. My current router (WiFi 5/ac) has been in use for ~5 years so I want to do long-term investment.
I think the only thing close would be a UniFi Dream Machine Special Edition (and even then it's SFP+ 10G ports, not RJ45's) and the new U6-Enterprise AP which is not available to the general public yet and it only has a 2.5G port. The UDM SE is $500 and the AP is reportedly going to be $250, which would theoretically be $750 total. Roughly $50 more than the 16000 but you get arguably better hardware and software.

BTW, I had a QHora-301W and the firmware was awful. Missing many basic features ASUSWRT has.

@AnClar
I'm just rationalizing my not buying a 16000.
Also, waiting for that Special FW to drop (Hopefully), and trying not to read anything in This Post ;)

I understand the desire to be riding the fastest, bestest, most exclusive wave. However, my reasoning is simple...why pay for a router (GT-AXE16000) that gets me no benefit for the forseeable future? My internet is 500/500 at the moment, more than I need but reasonably priced *smile*. No reason to pay extra for faster internet at this point. Actually, in this area AT&T hasn't made fiber faster than gigabit available, even if I did have a use case for it. And, of course, we have no wifi-6E clients. However, my wifi-6 clients do run extraordinarily well with the GT-AX6000, which makes me happy. So, while I'm always interested in the state of the art, I'm hardly ever willing to pay the price to go there and bleed.

So I think I'll just keep track of developments that I can't use anyways, rather than buying in *smile*.

The GT-AXE16000 is certainly not a product aimed at the majority. Only very few users actually need (or even would benefit) from having a pair of 10G ports, or having four radio bands.

The GT-AX6000 is better aimed at a larger userbase.

The GT-AXE16000 is certainly not a product aimed at the majority. Only very few users actually need (or even would benefit) from having a pair of 10G ports, or having four radio bands.

The GT-AX6000 is better aimed at a larger userbase.

I want one, it looks like its build for me: I have 2.5Gb fiber internet, plus 2 PCs, one my main and backup/server
Running AX89X right now.
but i found a switch that has x2 10GB RJ45 ports + x4 2.5GB ports, for 130EUR

dunno if i should just get the switch or save up and buy the router, this year has way too many things coming out new CPUs, new GPU, new TVs

Just got my GT-AX6000 today.
To get my STB working i had to enable multicast routing in IPTV tab.
iptvworks.JPG
On N66U i was able to isolate it to a single port, but GT-AX6000, says that the hardware isn't capable.
I guess that the multicast routing will now work on all 4 ports now, could this cause any problems?

Does this setting also affect the 2,5G lan port?

My 6000 hopefully gets here today and if I have time tonight I'll be swapping out the linksys mr7500 and installing the asus.

The linksys is OK but the firmware is so locked down I can't even set channels. I'm literally getting lag and stutter in online games at 5ghz with the router 4' from my computer probably because of lag spikes. Using my android device to scan channels and then make adjustments would be a great option but you can't do that with this router.

Will probably coast with the asus firmware for a while then eventually install merlin on there.

I decided to return both AXE16000s after two weeks of use/testing. Initially thought they would be a significant upgrade to the RT-AX89X used with my 10Gbps broadband plan. Was sadly disappointed as both the 10G ports on the main and AiMesh routers could barely hit 2.6 Gbps on Ookla speedtests as opposed to the 8 to 9-plus Gbps on the RT-AX89X. Wifi performance was only on par or slightly better than the RT-AX89X (+1 Gbps range). Confirmed that turning on AiProtection was the cause of the subpar broadband speeds. I switched over to Asus routers from Linksys/Belkin partly for the AiProtection suite so not being able to use that was unacceptable. Frequent episodes where all my Apple, Android or Windows devices (mostly Wifi 6 and one Wifi 6e) would be randomly booted off Wifi and unable to reconnect to any of the bands until I turned off and on their Wifi functions a couple of times was the last straw. Furnished Asus Tech Support with all the data logs (five 24 hour cycles across two weeks) before I threw in the towel. Now back on the RT-AX89X and a pair of AXE11000's AiMeshed (2.5Gbps ethernet backhaul through a 10Gbe unmanaged switch) with close to ISP-advertised broadband speeds, AiProtection on, and zero issues since then. Guess the old adage still applies: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Besides, Wifi 7 appears to be just around the corner. Broadcom has already sent their Wifi 7 chipset samples to early access partners back in April this year including the usual suspects: Asus ROG, NetGear, TP-Link, Extreme Networks, Arcadyan etc. Qualcomm and MediaTek have done the same.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!