What's new

GT-AX6000 vs GT-AXE16000 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@L&LD Thoughts on replacement / returns comparing AX86U vs. AX6000? I am currently using the 2.5 gig port as well from 2.5 capable modem into the AX86U. Running Gig network, and actually pull 950meg-1.3 gigs down hardlined, and about 680-775 on AX devices. I'm guessing a wash, but who knows, also what have you seen in comparable distances at keeping strength?

No conclusions yet. If a new release comes soon (before the end of the return period) I will attempt another full reset and decide/report then.

At the same distances, the GT-AX6000 had better throughput. But adding a node (wired, 2.5GbE) makes the performance worse (still).

I won't keep (2x) them as-is in my environment, but for customers that will be served well with a single router, they are worth considering. Particularly since the RT-AX86U is effectively sold out for months now.

I think it's just a bug on the product listing that it's "back-order"
It's literally the definition of a back-order, but I get your point. Back-order implies that it was in stock earlier.

Code:
Dictionary

back·or·der
/ˈbakˌôrdər/

noun
noun: back order; noun: back-order

a retailer's order for a product that is temporarily out of stock with the supplier.
    "the phone I wanted was on backorder"

It's literally the definition of a back-order, but I get your point. Back-order implies that it was in stock earlier.

Code:
Dictionary

back·or·der
/ˈbakˌôrdər/

noun
noun: back order; noun: back-order

a retailer's order for a product that is temporarily out of stock with the supplier.
    "the phone I wanted was on backorder"
Newegg has historically labeled Back-Order and Pre-Order differently. The email I received when I placed my "back-order" properly states that I made a pre-order.

Semantics aside, it's a preorder. Perhaps with a system change both are handled the same on the backend, and it leads to preorders being labeled back-order. Who knows?

GT-AXE16000 back on sale at Newegg, listed as Back Order again, with an ETA of 6/13/2022.

The mid June date is consistent with the latest comments from the ASUS service tech on the Reddit thread.

GT-AX6000 (still on sale and available) w/ RMerlin fw, still working great!

EDIT: Showed The Wife the cost for the 16000, and told her how glad I was I hadn't waited, and for $700 I would go Netgate or similar. She smiled and said I was lucky I didn't spend $700.
So I got that going for me!

Last edited:
I feel for the early adopters who had overnight shipping and were hoping to have theirs this weekend.
I honestly don't feel bad for no one in this case. There was never a promised release date. Simply an estimated preorder date.

Also if you're referring to the very small number of amazon orders. That in itself was a luck of the draw for the slim number of people who caught wind of it being put up for sell. Wasn't like it was added, and everyone had a chance to battle to checkout first.

As for the AXE16000 shipping, seems like Asus, and whoever they have manufacturing, and shipping this router to retailers, are delayed in getting them out. Originally the Asus rep mentioned late 2nd qtr, bestbuy would start to sell them. That date now seems more in line for the initial launch/shipment.

So for me, waiting on bestbuy to stock them. It's looking more like early 3rd qtr, bestbuy will start to sell them. Delays suck, but hopefully it just gives a couple more weeks for them to mature any current software issues. As I know Asus has a small test group beta testing this router.

The longer I wait for the AXE16000 to launch, the more I'm back considering buying two GT-AX6000, and a 5 port 2.5gb switch. Cost would be a bit over a $100 more. However I currently use a two router setup anyways. With the 2nd router in the smart panel closet extending wifi range.

Reason for the switch, is I still want 2.5gb LAN access at the main router. However I want to run a 2.5gb wired link to the 2nd router as well.

Negatives are I lose out on two 10gb ports, 2nd 5g wifi band, and the 6g band. I'm honestly curious for the ones here who have tri band routers. Do you find the 2nd 5g band important?

For those waiting for the AXE16000 - you do realize that ASUS will most likely come out with a “version 2” or a newer ROG model just several months later. More antennas, brighter RGB lights and extra mirrors on top!

They always tend to play this very expensive game with their Guinea Pigs, errr ”customers.”

Look at a pair of XT12 in that case, as it's very similar hardware.
I thought about them. But isn't the wifi antennas in a fixed position? Curious your thoughts on that? I have upstairs in my home, reason I mentioned the antennas position.

I thought about them. But isn't the wifi antennas in a fixed position? Curious your thoughts on that? I have upstairs in my home, reason I mentioned the antennas position.
They're fixed, but all at an angle, so they should provide pretty good 360 degrees coverage.

I know the range itself is pretty good, LinusTechTips actually tested them a few days ago within their noisy/crowded building, and the range beat their expectations.

They're fixed, but all at an angle, so they should provide pretty good 360 degrees coverage.
Well I like that you mentioned this. However just looking, you can't even find the XT12 for sale anywhere, only the ET12. Which would currently cost $200 more than two GT-AX6000 routers.

ASUS XT12:

Pros
1. I like the design, tall but no where near as wide as the GT-AX6000
2. Shelf appeal is definitely in its favor if you can't hide it
3. Tri-Band Wifi

Cons
1. No USB support at this price point is a bit crazy
2. Only three 1gbps LAN ports
3. Big issue can't find a buy option anywhere currently

ASUS GT-AX6000

Pros
1. USB support
2. I know the current cost of two of these are $700 before taxes XT12 cost???
3. Best buy actually carries them right now which is where I prefer to get my router if return is needed

Cons
1. Size compared to the XT12 is a problem need plenty of room and shelf appeal isn't there
2. It is Dual band wifi vs XT12 Tri band wifi

Currently this is what I can think of, probably missing a thing, or two, between the two. Biggest takeaway from all this, I can't even find the XT12 to buy it, if I wanted to right now. Which is a big reason I'm back to considering buying two GT-AX6000, vs the GT-AXE16000. The two AX6000 setup would require me to spend a little over a $100 for a 5 port 2.5gbps switch. Even with the XT12's I would need a switch as well.

Anyways I really do appreciate Merlin bringing up the XT12, I like having a little discussion before making a costly purchase I'm planning to make soon. Merlin if you have anything else to add, that I might be missing, please post it. Also if anyone else has anything to add/opinion on this, post it, I'm happy to read it.

Merlin if you have anything else to add, that I might be missing, please post it.
Personally, I have a hard time justifying buying two GT-AX6000. I would go for a lower-end device for the second node, since that node's CPU and RAM will be largely unused all of the time. Even an RT-AX68U might be good enough for the node if you just need basic AX support.

Get just one, and test it. If you can't get good enough coverage even after playing with its location, then look into buying a second node to extend the network.

Personally, I have a hard time justifying buying two GT-AX6000. I would go for a lower-end device for the second node, since that node's CPU and RAM will be largely unused all of the time. Even an RT-AX68U might be good enough for the node if you just need basic AX support.
You got me really thinking about this now. I'm really looking at buying one GT-AX6000 now, however I'm willing to spend another $300-400, to maximize my home wifi coverage. As for the AX68U, I was thinking about getting something more low profile, that has more shelf appeal. Because I'm at the point of placing these in the best possible spots not inside of closets, and such, to keep wifi strong. But not something overly big, and has no shelf appeal to it.

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to post them. I have looked at a couple lower profile non asus mesh systems. I just don't know how well they would work with the GT-AX6000 running as the main router. Definitely want to use it as the main router, as it will be the power behind it all.

Well the GT-AX6000 is ordered. Now I'm still looking at adding a second router, or such, to extend my wifi, and keep it as strong as possible in my home. As I mentioned in my last post, kind of want something lower profile, and not a straight up router. Incase I need to put it out in the open, I want to to look clean, with some shelf appeal. Definitely want something a bit up to date with some pretty decent AX speeds.

I know there has to be a few of you on here who has some secondary devices for boosting your wifi. What are some of you using? I want something I don't have to worry about having issues staying connected. Which seems to be an issue with many mesh systems, and such, looking over reviews. Currently looking to spend a max of $300-400 on secondary wifi unit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!