What's new

Solved GT-AXE11000 - can you come in via one VPN and leave via another?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ou812

New Around Here
Hello all !

I have a GT-AXE11000. I am currently running open VPN as a VPN server to allow me to connect my cell phone via open VPN to my home network through the router. I also have a VPN service (like NordVPN) I use on the router as a client of that VPN service for specific connections from my home network. I have been trying to bridge the connection between my phone connecting to the VPN client on my router so that any internet traffic that I browse on my phone when connected to my home VPN is routed through the client VPN (NordVPN) connection on the router. So far, all my internet based traffic from my phone when connected to my server VPN goes out via the normal internet connection. I do not see a way to bridge these two VPNs for internet traffic. I am not able to see my VPN connected client cell phone in the list of clients that I can setup to access the VPN from the internal network, as I am not able to see my device on the VPN server subnet that is created on the router. Hope that makes sense. Is this able to be configured?

Also - I have looked at the threads regarding VPN Director in the router. This model has "VPN Fusion" which doesnt have the same options.

Last edited:
I have been trying to bridge the connection between my phone connecting to the VPN client on my router so that any internet traffic that I browse on my phone when connected to my home VPN is routed through the client VPN (NordVPN) connection on the router.

Why don't you connect your phone straight to NordVPN? They allow up to 6 devices connected.

What you ask for is possible, but you have to load Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on your router. You decide if you need it or not.

So, yes, it is possible to run from the phone, but I wanted the best of both worlds. I have used the Merlin firmware, but I also have a mesh node with an older router, and I found that it only worked with the stock firmware (at least about 6 months ago when I first hooked it up). Perhaps that has changed now. Would rather have the mesh on my 86U than have VPN routing work from my phone (at this point.) Is that a known limitation of the Merlin firmware - no mesh nodes?

Yes this works with Merlin FW. I'm using OpenVPN and WG Server that is connected to OpenVPN client to Mullvad.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!