What's new

GT-AXE11000 issues with internet speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

charleyshf

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
Sorry in advance if this has been posted before.

I have been dealing with an issue for a few weeks now and I ended up replacing my router with the GT-AXE11000 as of yesterday. My ISP (Spectrum) currently I have the 1Gigabit DL account. When I directly plug in any of my 3 pc's to the cable modem, I get the advertised speeds, however when I plug in the GT-AXE11000 and plug any pc into that, my speeds decrease to an average of 750mbps dl. I have the most recent firmware, I have disabled QOS, I have also done a factory reset, and I am not sure what else I can do. I have also replaced my Ethernet cables with Cat 6E. From the GT-AXE11000 to the cable modem I even tried a cat8 cable. Everything is connected via ethernet cable, no wifi for these tests. One thing I am wondering about is the cable modem ethernet supports 2.5GB speeds. Would it make any difference if I used the 2.5GB ethernet from the GT-AXE11000 to the cable modem? I am out of ideas and not sure what else I can do.

Attachments

• withoutrouter.png
    withoutrouter.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 68
  • withrouter.png
    withrouter.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 62
Hello,
Sorry in advance if this has been posted before.

I have been dealing with an issue for a few weeks now and I ended up replacing my router with the GT-AXE11000 as of yesterday. My ISP (Spectrum) currently I have the 1Gigabit DL account. When I directly plug in any of my 3 pc's to the cable modem, I get the advertised speeds, however when I plug in the GT-AXE11000 and plug any pc into that, my speeds decrease to an average of 750mbps dl. I have the most recent firmware, I have disabled QOS, I have also done a factory reset, and I am not sure what else I can do. I have also replaced my Ethernet cables with Cat 6E. From the GT-AXE11000 to the cable modem I even tried a cat8 cable. Everything is connected via ethernet cable, no wifi for these tests. One thing I am wondering about is the cable modem ethernet supports 2.5GB speeds. Would it make any difference if I used the 2.5GB ethernet from the GT-AXE11000 to the cable modem? I am out of ideas and not sure what else I can do.
If your ISP modem has a 2.5GB port and a 2.5GB WAN port on the GT-AXE connect both.

However, if you're doing a speedtest on a PC connected to the router using one of the 1 Gig ports you'll notice a speed difference as it's capped. If you have a WiFi 6 device run a test using that and you should in theory get full speed.

I'm on 1 Gig here in the UK and get full speed via WiFi 6, but capped around 940 or 900 doing it via a PC.

Thank You, I have it now setup using the 2.5gb port, but I sill have the same results...
Have you got anything that's WiFi 6 you're able to test?

Again, if you're doing a speedtest via a PC or laptop connected to a 1Gig port on the back of the router it will be capped.

If you've connected both ends to the 2.5GB port you should be fine and assume it's operating at normal capacity.

Okay, so I do have Wifi6 on my pc, tested it and I've got an interesting result, also since my pc has a 2.4gb Ethernet I started over and connected that to the router 2.4gb port, the results are the same as using wifi6, I don't think I can get any better than this?

Attachments

• newsettings.png
    newsettings.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 67
940Mbps is maximum throughput of Gigabit Ethernet. What better than this you expect to get on Gigabit plan and router with single 2.5GbE port?
I don't expect to get any faster than this, i'm aware of the limit, just wasn't expecting a good result like this after all the troubleshooting

Home routers including yours have weak power efficient hardware and can process about 350Mbps WAN-LAN traffic in CPU. Anything faster relies on NAT acceleration techniques. Any firmware option you enable incompatible with Runner or Flow Cache will have negative impact on your WAN throughput.

I don't expect to get any faster than this, i'm aware of the limit, just wasn't expecting a good result like this after all the troubleshooting.
For wired speeds to go above 1Gbps, the router needs at least two multi gig/2.5G ethernet ports, one (WAN) connected to your cable modem and the other (LAN) to your PC. Otherwise, like what was mentioned in the earlier posts, you'll be limited to less-than-1GBps wired speeds either on the WAN or LAN side by the 1G ethernet ports.

not in ap mode.. i have mine in ap mode and can see i have 2.5 gb all the way to the internal machine i am testing with iperf.. if i bypass the gt i can get about 2 gig iperf..
( i have a 2.5gb usb3 to rj adapter to test with)

when connected via wifi 10 feed from the gt0axe says it is connected at 2gb or so ..
but i still can only get 1.27 gb via wifi.. i should be able to get more.. i

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-05 170830.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-05 170830.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 49

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!