What's new

Solved GT-AXE11000 Replacement Ant

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dropilikeitshot

Occasional Visitor
I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a replacement ant for the GT-AXE11000? I know the design has changed, but have a damaged ant and want to see if I can repair it myself, I don’t know if it matters if it’s one of the 6ghz or the combined 2.4/5ghz ant? If it matters the one that is missing is the one closest to the power in port.

I thought the axe weren't replaceable? Well without taking unit apart and I think soldering?

Ok solder it then, I couldn’t tell from the FCC photos and I know ant mounts can’t be installed, but I wasn’t sure if tiny Ipex ?< Not sure if that is the connector type (the kind laptop internal modems use was on the board) >or like you state the only way to repair / replace is you have to solder a replacement on? I get FCC rules on the band/low power to protect the spectrum , I just want to replace an ant that broke.

Ok solder it then, I couldn’t tell from the FCC photos and I know ant mounts can’t be installed, but I wasn’t sure if tiny Ipex ?< Not sure if that is the connector type (the kind laptop internal modems use was on the board) >or like you state the only way to repair / replace is you have to solder a replacement on? I get FCC rules on the band/low power to protect the spectrum , I just want to replace an ant that broke.
IIRC the FCC photos were of the AX model?

ASUS site listed 2.4/5 ghz connect to ipex mfh4 and 6ghz to Ipex mfh4L .
Any suggestions on DIY replacement parts ? I have an old 2.4ghz replacement ant from from Hawking Technologies with a rpa sma male fitting. It has no model markings but visually it looks like the .H-AI6SI Indoor 2.4GHz 6dB Gain.

Why not glue/tape/splint the plastic housing on the broken antenna?

Electricians tape (black) works well too.

Why not glue/tape/splint the plastic housing on the broken antenna?
I didn’t break the antenna. The person who sold it to me (eBay) didn’t provide the antenna or explain what happened. I figure at this point it easier to get the coupler and use a third party antenna than to source an OEM replacement. Yes, I agree if it happened in house and wire was not broken, then I would hot glue or epoxy a repair to the mount point.

I want to attach a real antenna, not just tape over the hole.

Attachments

• 08820EB4-E9A1-48B7-A084-8880A9352F55.jpeg
    08820EB4-E9A1-48B7-A084-8880A9352F55.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 39FF5787-11F0-4E77-93E0-0675AA900C98.jpeg
    39FF5787-11F0-4E77-93E0-0675AA900C98.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 258
That's a pretty serious defect. You really do need to have all antennas. Radios don't adapt. A four stream radio will assume that it has all four streams to work with. If an antenna is missing, your performance will suffer.

That's a pretty serious defect. You really do need to have all antennas. Radios don't adapt. A four stream radio will assume that it has all four streams to work with. If an antenna is missing, your performance will suffer.
Thanks. Yes, I understand. That is why I wanted to fix it. Is the only difference between the ipex mfh4 and ipex mfh4L the locking mechanism on the L version? I am trying to figure out if the apex mfh4 connector will fit on the mfh4L spot on the board? I can find apex mfh4 pre-made connectors on Amazon and eBay, but I don't see any similar items configured with ipex mfh4L.

I ordered a standard ipex MFH4 wire and when they both arrive in a week or so I will post an update. At this point the plan is to attempt a DIY repair and use the hawking ant I had attached to a pc that wasn’t in use.

Router and parts are in will give another update if I get it working

Added more nodes, hopefully time this weekend to verify if I can add the external antenna.

Added nodes. Axe-11000 currently out of service waiting replacement antenna connector wire. The specification sheet I had was incorrect. The 6ghz connectors are mfh4, the dual 5ghz/2.4ghz seem to be mfh3. At least on my board revision r 2-31

Added nodes. Axe-11000 currently out of service waiting replacement antenna connector wire. The specification sheet I had was incorrect. The 6ghz connectors are mfh4, the dual 5ghz/2.4ghz seem to be mfh3. At least on my board revision r 2-31
Fixed, mfh3 connector was correct for my board. Unit is back in service as node.

Cool glad you got it working. Where did you get the antennas?

Bit expensive for a node, maybe you can bling it up too?

I had an old antenna lying around. But I needed the connector (wire mfh3 to female). I ordered this from Amazon. Wire and antenna (yes the antenna doesn’t match , I am sure it’s not optimal, but better than a broken wire sitting under a passive heat spreader plate).

Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TI1XBOE/?tag=snbforums-20

at some point when I have axe clients will revisit

Last edited by a moderator:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!