What's new

GT-AXE16000 and 10 Gbps WAN is it sure ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

edreams

New Around Here
Hi everybody,

I'm considering buying the GT-AXE16000 to replace my AC-5300 because for a few months I've subscribed to 8 Gbit fiber optics.

Can you confirm that it is possible to use one of the 10Gbit ports to connect my fiber modem and therefore use one of the two 10Gbit ports as a WAN port to benefit from all the bandwidth of my fiber connection?

And in this case is it still possible to connect my backup 4G router elsewhere and benefit from the dual-wan fail-over?

Thank you very much for your advice !

In theory, all that is possible.

You need to test with your specific environment to see if it will work for you. Be prepared for some work to get this working as you need.

In theory, all that is possible.

You need to test with your specific environment to see if it will work for you. Be prepared for some work to get this working as you need.

Thank you so much for your answer !

"be prepared for some work" ??? this device is buggy ?

thanks

No, it's not 'buggy' to my knowledge. That was in reference to the 4G router you want to use for wan fail over.

This router has hardware for about 400Mbps WAN-LAN traffic unless NAT acceleration is used. You have to be careful what firmware options you enable otherwise you won't see anything close to 8Gbps. It has 10GbE ports, but it's not really 10Gbps capable. Dual WAN on Asus routers is very unreliable - you have to experiment if it works for you. By the way, where the 8Gbps traffic will be going to and what benefits are expected?

Router can do 10G, but don't enable any feature that will break NAT acceleration.
I've seen somewhere on this forum that "black" list. I'm sure Trend Micro was there. Can't recall if QoS was also there. But who cares about QoS for home at such bandwidth.

I've seen somewhere on this forum that "black" list.

I have a list here:

WireGuard issue will be resolved in future firmware if not already. TrendMicro AiProtection enabled may restrict WAN-LAN traffic under 8Gbps. QoS is not needed when the WAN is faster than LAN. I just wonder what is this ISP line will be used for and if this speed is really needed why @edreams wants to purchase some underpowered home router instead of proper 10GbE capable hardware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!