What's new

gt-axe16000 and outbound port 8883

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jtjbt20x

Occasional Visitor
My gt-axe16000 tries to connect to various .compute.amazonaws.com servers on port 8883. What is that for? I've searched everywhere and can't find anything on that.

What's the complete URL?

It's probably the router checking for firmware or security updates (we've seen this before with amazonaws.com addresses).

What firmware version are you running?

I can't see the complete url unfortunately, the only thing I can see is the server name, all of which are variants of .compute.amazonaws.com. For example, ec2-54-244-146-91.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com.

I'm using firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_23012.

I just noticed all of my Asus WiFi routers are making these connections.

I expanded my google search and found that port 8883 is MQTT over SSL, an IoT communications protocol, but I don't know what it is doing.

Strange.

You could run netstat on the router and try and catch it running. But you'd need netstat to support the -p option. I know Merlin's firmware has that but I don't know about stock firmware.
Code:
netstat -ap | grep aws

I still think it's normal update checking. Might be AiProtection related.

Results, looks like it is AWS IoT, which is used for "continuously audit security configurations for compliance with security best practices and your own organizational security policies"

netstat -ap | grep aws
tcp 0 1 GT-AXE16000-xxxx.:41826 ec2-34-209-43-55.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8883 SYN_SENT 27005/awsiot
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 664924 27005/awsiot /var/run/awsiot_ipc_socket
unix 2 [ ] STREAM 664923 27005/awsiot "

Ah good spot. There was a recent discussion about this relatively new process here:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!