What's new

Guest network 1 different IP range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ninko

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I've noticed when you have the guest network 1 set to internet access only, clients on that network are given IP addresses outside the normal range, is that how it's meant to work?
Plus, does this now mean you can no longer set a static IP address for clients on this network?

Thanks

Correct. This is an upstream change by Asus to support guest networks on AiMesh nodes and has been widely discussed in these forums.

I understand why there might be a need to use a separate IP range but I don't see why we wouldn't be able to assign an IP to a client within that range?

I understand why there might be a need to use a separate IP range but I don't see why we wouldn't be able to assign an IP to a client within that range?

Maybe someday. I don't think they've come that far with it yet.

OE

Can't say I'm a big fan of how guest networks are currently implemented on Merlin anyway. We have the problem of some routers *only* supporting guest networks within the private network, others using different IP networks, and still others a combination of both. Ugg. With that type of inconsistency, it makes for a lot of confusion.

Might want to consider supporting guests on their *own* router, daisy-chained to the primary or mesh network. Not a perfect solution by any means. But at least the implementation is known and consistent (guests are *always* on their own IP network), you can maintain isolation between guests and the private network w/ firewall rules while making exceptions as needed (e.g., a printer), it supports static leases, and even *wired* guests!

At least worthy of consideration until the Merlin firmware gets its act together on this matter.

Last edited: