What's new

Guest Network has no internet access unless I enable access to intranet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A while ago I upgraded router to a RT-AX86U running latest Merlin (386.7.2)

Today I bought a pack of 2 XD6 to replace both my old n66u as APs.

- I added the first AiMesh-node
- Upgraded firmware in node
- Rebooted router and mesh node
- Propagated guest network to all
- Rebooted router and mesh node again

Connected a win10 pc and an Android phone tablet to the guest network very close to the node... and they couldn't get an IP address...

Tried to allow intranet access and then guest network worked.
Disabled intranet access and could not get IP in guest network again.

Tomorrow I'll return the XD6s and continue to use my old n66u APs. Not use upgrading when this doesn't work.

Have been emailing with ASUS and they claim they can't reproduce the issue...

Edit: Have never really tried my guest network with the old n66u APs. Did some testing now and I can access my NAS from guest network while connected to the APs, but not when connected to the router.
So, for years, I have not been aware guest isolation for APs doesn't work!

Edit 2:
Tried some more.
Connected the CD6 directly to the router and then guest network works isolated from intranet!
Gets another IP range!
Router is 192.168.0.x
Isolated guest network becomes 192.168.102.x

Last edited:
I experienced a similar issue with my three AC68U setup in AiMesh mode. None of my guest wifi clients could get out to the internet unless I enabled access intranet on the guest wifi. What worked for me was disabling NAT Acceleration on the primary router.

I was then able to get to the Internet from a guest wifi endpoint with Access Intranet disabled.

Good luck.

I am not able to make Guest network internet access possible without enabling LAN access in my up-to-date ASUS RT-AC3200 (Fw ver 3.0.0.4.382_52651).
It does not help to use 2.4GHz guest network 0, 1 or 2, nor at 5GHz channels. Only enabling LAN access for guests makes the Guest WiFis work.
I am using 10.167.0.0/24 network internally and run own DNS server there (dnsmasq), but this should not relate in any way to make it possible for Guest network clients to access and see all things in their networks. I have also OpenVPN server enabled, but this should not relate to this thing either as its for incoming connections to the internal network. Setting manual WAN DNS addresses or keeping it at auto also didn't help.
Letting Guest WiFi network clients to access the Intranet defies the whole point of the Guest network, so please ASUS, fix this.

Last edited:
I am not able to make Guest network internet access possible without enabling LAN access in my up-to-date ASUS RT-AC3200 (Fw ver 3.0.0.4.382_52651).
It does not help to use 2.4GHz guest network 0, 1 or 2, nor at 5GHz channels. Only enabling LAN access for guests makes the Guest WiFis work.
I am using 10.167.0.0/24 network internally and run on DNS server there, but this should not relate in any way to make it possible for Guest network clients to access and see all things in their networks. I have also OpenVPN server enabled, but this should not relate to this thing either as its for incoming connections to the internal network. Setting manual WAN DNS addresses or keeping it at auto also didn't help.
Letting Guest WiFi network clients to access the Intranet defies the whole point of the Guest network, so please ASUS, fix this.
is it without aimesh nodes you have problems? Direct connection to AP in router?

Fwiw, I had to change my main LAN subnet from /16 back to /24 for my meshed guests to access internet again yet keep Intranet disabled (since they were getting assigned 192.168.101.x or .102.x addresses with only a DNS of .101.1 due to the VLAN).

Fwiw, I had to change my main LAN subnet from /16 back to /24 for my meshed guests to access internet again yet keep Intranet disabled (since they were getting assigned 192.168.101.x or .102.x addresses with only a DNS of .101.1 due to the VLAN).
Sorry if I'm missing something here, but wouldn't this provide all devices on your guest network with access to your intranet?

No. Why do you think that?
Oh I read it backwards, I thought he was expanding his subnet to include the guest networks.

I may not be understanding which part of the equation his subnet mask change was fixing. My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the internet is not working, so regardless I guess this fix isn't for me.

I was missing many IOT after a wile of using the Asus xt8 mesh router. When brand new everything work with one 2.4 ssid and one 5 ssid. then its start to drop the IOT on the 2.4. I tried the reset tutorial here it help but problem would always creep back... then I did the full reset (except changing ssid for the IOT) and use the Smart connect and it became stable for 8-10 month ...
But the problem creep back again.. Start loosing some Shelly device and tplink switch etc...

In the same time I was playing with a Esp32 cam board and could never got an image from it on the ip adresse provided. the board was connected to it full signal, sometime the cam menu would apear but not the video feed. It was driving me crazy...

I then click, I have this iot trouble could it be the wifi ? I started an hotspot on my phone, re upload the new program to the esp32cam board with the wifi info of the hotspot . and sure enough it was working just fine...

So then I found this thread and tryed the guest network trick . I named guest-1 the ssid of my IOT they connect but no internet on it ??? how is that possible... the intranet was enable but no internet, so wierd. I tried guest- and 3 same thing.

So I did a setting backup, fallowed by a full reset then restore the setting and then on the guest -2 ( did not tryed other) all IOT are there and working !!! I dont know what is diferent on the guest network but its probably less fancy in negotiation with the device Hoppefully it will stay like this.
If not I think I will find a new ethernet router and use those XT8 mesh as AP . Or is software router any good ?

THANKS for all your help and comment, this forum Rock for Asus knoledge!! 🍻

I was missing many IOT after a wile of using the Asus xt8 mesh router. When brand new everything work with one 2.4 ssid and one 5 ssid. then its start to drop the IOT on the 2.4. I tried the reset tutorial here it help but problem would always creep back... then I did the full reset (except changing ssid for the IOT) and use the Smart connect and it became stable for 8-10 month ...
But the problem creep back again.. Start loosing some Shelly device and tplink switch etc...

In the same time I was playing with a Esp32 cam board and could never got an image from it on the ip adresse provided. the board was connected to it full signal, sometime the cam menu would apear but not the video feed. It was driving me crazy...

I then click, I have this iot trouble could it be the wifi ? I started an hotspot on my phone, re upload the new program to the esp32cam board with the wifi info of the hotspot . and sure enough it was working just fine...

So then I found this thread and tryed the guest network trick . I named guest-1 the ssid of my IOT they connect but no internet on it ??? how is that possible... the intranet was enable but no internet, so wierd. I tried guest- and 3 same thing.

So I did a setting backup, fallowed by a full reset then restore the setting and then on the guest -2 ( did not tryed other) all IOT are there and working !!! I dont know what is diferent on the guest network but its probably less fancy in negotiation with the device Hoppefully it will stay like this.
If not I think I will find a new ethernet router and use those XT8 mesh as AP . Or is software router any good ?

THANKS for all your help and comment, this forum Rock for Asus knoledge!! 🍻
Well Short Lived succes ... All the Guest Network Fail to deliver Internet to the device...

Any one have sugestion for wired Router that can accept Asus mesh as AP ?

I too have this issue with Guest Networks. No matter which one of the 3 I use. If Intranet is disabled, there is no internet at all for devices connected to the Guest Networks.

Hi
Ive contaced ASUS with this bug.
I have a ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 as main router and 3 clients in a AIMESH network.
I have an active guestnetwork and I want it to be accessable from AIMESH clients aswell. Guesthouse is situated 20m from main bulding so signal is to weak from main router. When i disable LAN access the clients internet access dies. So i enabled access to intranet and then all worked fine BUT thats not the purpose of this function. I want as u to protect my intrenet from guests.
I google and found that people use other GUESTNETWORK number 1 and 2 and so I tried that and everything works fine BUT then the opportunity to have guestnetwork on AIMESH clients disappears.

So my conclusion and what i reported to asus as bug.
To be able to let guestnetwork be accessable from aimesh cleint i need to use the first column guestnetwork but then they WILL have access to intranet to be able to access internet.
If I use other guestnetwork they will have internet access without intranet access but then guestwork only works from main router.
Its contraproductive and I reported this.

Regards
Dive

I was able to find out what the issue was with mine. I use Pihole as an adblocker and it is blocking Internet access when disabling Intranet on Guest Networks.
If you are using Pihole, you can test this by connecting to the Guest Network and simply changing the DNS server on that device and you will see you can then have internet access.

Still trying to figure out how I can use Guest Network along with Pihole with Intranet disabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!