What's new

Guest Network in Access Point Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

He is using the Guest Network on this router to isolate clients from it's own subnet, as far as I understand.
He said he's using two routers (AC86U and AC68U), each in router mode. However it is unclear whether the "guest router" is being used solely for the guest users or is also used by his own devices.

I don't know what YazFi is helping there.
Indeed.

This AC68U is in Router mode in double NAT. Should be isolating its own GN from own subnet, preventing access to AC86U network. This is why I asked if the neighbors have access to the main AC68U SSID. You know Asuswrt better, is there something tricky?

This AC68U is in Router mode in double NAT. Should be isolating its own GN from own subnet, preventing access to AC86U network. This is why I asked if the neighbors have access to the main AC68U SSID. You know Asuswrt better, is there something tricky?
The AC68U being in router mode doesn't prevent access to the AC86U's network, in the same way that it doesn't prevent access to the internet. Granted, it makes access more awkward but it doesn't prevent it. The same applies to all two router setups, not just Asuswrt.

Access in the other direction (AC86U to AC68U) is blocked however because of the AC68U's firewall.

The same applies to all two router setups, not just Asuswrt.

This is correct, but what about GN on AC68U in Router mode? I don't know how the GN is implemented in Asuswrt.

Access in the other direction (AC86U to AC68U) is blocked however because of the AC68U's firewall.

Yes, @supergreen wants to monitor something on this AC68U and he never asked how to access it from AC86U network.

This is correct, but what about GN on AC68U in Router mode? I don't know how the GN is implemented in Asuswrt.
Guest network intranet access is controlled using filtering rules between the guest wireless interface and the LAN bridge. Therefore it only effects communications within the LAN. It doesn't have any effect on upstream devices. Once traffic exits the WAN interface it is indistinguishable.

Guest networks on AiMesh nodes work differently.

Guest network intranet access is controlled using filtering rules between the guest wireless interface and the LAN bridge. Therefore it only effects communications within the LAN. It doesn't have any effect on upstream devices. Once traffic exits the WAN interface it is indistinguishable.

Guest networks on AiMesh nodes work differently.

Yes, @supergreen wants to monitor something on this AC68U and he never asked how to access it from AC86U network.
Sorry to not clarify. I am a little out of it today. If I recall I installed Yazfi on the AC68u due to still being able to access the AC86u from the AC68u with the standard GN setup with Asuswrt .

As for the monitoring, I don't need access to the AC68u from the AC86u. I installed diversion and vnstat on the AC68u to get the daily emails for data usage (for the neighbors/guests)

He said he's using two routers (AC86U and AC68U), each in router mode. However it is unclear whether the "guest router" is being used solely for the guest users or is also used by his own devices.

Indeed.
wow i truly apologize, missed more here while i was out than i thought.

I am indeed only using the AC68u for guest devices (which connect only to a Guest SSID. All of personally owned devices are connecting to my AC86u "main" router" and NOT the "guest" router.

As per @ColinTaylor explanation above, devices connected to your AC68U router are not isolated from your devices on AC86U network. This was my doubt and the reason I posted in this thread. You have to reorganize this network.