What's new

Guest network MAC address white listing limit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ryo

New Around Here
Hi,

I already do some research on this topic but nothing recent comes out, so I'm asking the community.
A couple of years ago I was using an Asus RT-AC87U which allow to filter guest network access with white listing up to 64 MAC address.
Now, I want to do the same thing on my Asus RT-AX88U but I discover that guest network filtering is limited to 16 MAC addresses which is not enough for me as I need at least 31 MAC addresses to limit guest network 1 to my network of things devices.
Is there any way to perform this ?
Regards,

Ryo.

Okay, but what are you trying to do? If you are trying to filter clients between the main WiFi and the Guest WiFi (or even just between the bands on the same SSID) using the MAC address is an unreliable means to do it - clients will still try (continually) to connect to the strongest signal even if they are then rejected because of their MAC address.

No, I just want to white list guest network client because I have to share my Wifi password with a device provider for configuration and I can't change the Wifi password used by this device by myself without re-sharing it to the provider. It require a dedicated management pro app to do that. Maybe I'm a little bit paranoid but I really don't like the idea that someone I don't know can connect to my Wifi...

Okay, but what are you trying to do? If you are trying to filter clients between the main WiFi and the Guest WiFi (or even just between the bands on the same SSID) using the MAC address is an unreliable means to do it - clients will still try (continually) to connect to the strongest signal even if they are then rejected because of their MAC address.
Well ideally the Guest and Main wifi have different passwords so it is not possible to roam between the two even if the MAC filters let them in.

It is possible. They can have different passwords, to the same network.

Sure I have different a password for each WiFi network.
I'm just trying to filter one of the guest network with a whitelist with more than 16 MAC address.