What's new

Guest network with separate DHCP server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

timonoj

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys! My network has a separate DHCP server (mi Pi-hole), and now I'm considering to completely isolate some devices I don't trust so much in my network, but that still need internet. So the guest networks function of my AC68U seemed a great idea! Except of course, because the network is isolated, they don't even reach the pi-hole for DHCP settings. Is there any solution to this? Could I enable DHCP only for the guest network?

Thanks!

Hi guys! My network has a separate DHCP server (mi Pi-hole), and now I'm considering to completely isolate some devices I don't trust so much in my network, but that still need internet. So the guest networks function of my AC68U seemed a great idea! Except of course, because the network is isolated, they don't even reach the pi-hole for DHCP settings. Is there any solution to this? Could I enable DHCP only for the guest network?

Thanks!
How large is your network? Why use another device to do a service that would work better without it, through out the network? I'm kind of puzzled unless you have lime 100 connected dhcp devices and even then why? IMHO.

DHCP is best served by the primary router, in a SOHO environment anyway.

Thanks...that was the recommendation of PiHole, at least for better tracking of the connected devices on its statistics console.

Thanks...that was the recommendation of PiHole, at least for better tracking of the connected devices on its statistics console.
Any device using arp can show you connected devices, I suspect Pi-Hole would use the same. If you run the arp -a at the ssh prompt of the router it will give you the connected devices as well, but no fancy stuff just the data. It doesn't need to be a server. ;):) Cheers!

YazFi is brilliant for IoT devices!! Great contribution! ;):)