What's new

Guest netwotk - no internet access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freebil

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I have an rt-ac68u (merlin 384.19) connected lan to lan with the provider modem router. The rt-ac68u has dhcp and nat disabled. I made a guest network and
* when I have access intranet = off, the clients of guest network have no internet access
* when I have access intranet = on, the clients of guest network have internet access.

Is it normal? What I can do?

Well, with NAT disabled your Asus is just acting as a WAP and your ISP's modem-router is doing the routing. "Guest Network" is irrelevant in this case; the only way to keep Guest devices from accessing any others is to turn them off altogether. Can you set the ISP modem to Bridge mode? Then turn NAT/DHCP back on in the Asus and everything should work fine.

Thanks for the answer. The provider-modem router is on the 2nd floor and If I make it bridge, 2nd floor clients will lose access. I am on 0th floor and the asus router is here. Is there anything that I can do, so I have a guest network to asus router clients?

Hello, I have an rt-ac68u (merlin 384.19) connected lan to lan with the provider modem router. The rt-ac68u has dhcp and nat disabled. I made a guest network and
* when I have access intranet = off, the clients of guest network have no internet access
* when I have access intranet = on, the clients of guest network have internet access.

Is it normal? What I can do?

Not normal, but working as expected. Normal would be to wire the AC68U WAN as an AP to the ISP gateway LAN. But the AP guest WLANs will remain not isolated from the overall network since they are not proper guest WLANs in AP Mode.

OE

If you want to isolate guest networks then double NAT your AC68 behind the ISP's router.

If you choose to use the WiFi on both routers put them on different channels. Your choice if you use same SSIDs.

If you want to isolate guest networks then double NAT your AC68 behind the ISP's router.

If you choose to use the WiFi on both routers put them on different channels. Your choice if you use same SSIDs.

Will the AC68U guest clients then be isolated from the ISP gateway clients?

OE

Yes, if you have "intranet access - off."