What's new

guest wifi (YazFi) - no internet access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chenks

Regular Contributor
i've set up a guest wifi (with YazFi), however when i connect to it, it has no internet access.
the devices do get an IP address.

i can't see anything obviously wrong with the config.
any ideas?

ideally all devices should be isolated from each other and only have WAN internet access

Annotation 2020-08-19 182207.jpg

i've set up a guest wifi (with YazFi), however when i connect to it, it has no internet access.
the devices do get an IP address.

i can't see anything obviously wrong with the config.
any ideas?

ideally all devices should be isolated from each other and only have WAN internet access

View attachment 25586
is VPN client 2 connected?

No idea what VPN client 2 is, that will have been the default option that was set when I enabled guest WiFi

i've turned off "redirect all to vpn" and internet access now works.

however, i have bandwidth limit settng set in the main guest wifi settings 10Mbps down 2Mbps, but that isn't being applied.
when i do a speedtest whilst connect to guest i am getting 100Mbps down and 20Mbps up, on normal wifi i get 210Mbps down and 20Mbps up.

also, i need to confirm that i have complete device isolation on the guest wifi. the "client isolation" option is greyed out for me in YazFi.

Annotation 2020-08-19 193222.jpg

i've turned off "redirect all to vpn" and internet access now works.

however, i have bandwidth limit settng set in the main guest wifi settings 10Mbps down 2Mbps, but that isn't being applied.
when i do a speedtest whilst connect to guest i am getting 100Mbps down and 20Mbps up, on normal wifi i get 210Mbps down and 20Mbps up.

also, i need to confirm that i have complete device isolation on the guest wifi. the "client isolation" option is greyed out for me in YazFi.

View attachment 25587
client isolation was broken at one point in the wireless driver for the rt-ax88u - the nvram setting wouldn't stick. i'll dig out the commands and you can test if this is fixed now or not :)

any ideas about the bandwidth limiting not working?

@tulear, how fresh? Did you do a full reset after flashing 384.19_0?

it's weird. it's like it tries to limit the downstream bandwidth, but not by the amount set, and the upstream isn't limited at all.

my connection is 220Mbps down 20Mbps up.
i set the limit to 10Mbps down and 2Mbps up.
it seems to limit the downstream to around 100Mbps, but not limit the upstream at all.

@tulear, how fresh? Did you do a full reset after flashing 384.19_0?
I made an upgrade to Merlin 384.19 from last Asuswrt firmware and an restoration to factory settings from Web Interface.

I take the opportunity to raise some questions about guest network and bandwidth limitation :
- what if I set a bandwidth limitation on guest network and another one for an individual device, what should the applicable rule for bandwith limitation when this device is connected to the guest network ?
- I use an Open VPN client and I route the trafic only for some specfic devices, is this configuration compatible with guest bandwith limitation ?

I'll try to reset again my router to confirm the issue

I made an upgrade to Merlin 384.19 from last Asuswrt firmware and an restoration to factory settings from Web Interface.

I take the opportunity to raise some questions about guest network and bandwidth limitation :
- what if I set a bandwidth limitation on guest network and another one for an individual device, what should the applicable rule for bandwith limitation when this device is connected to the guest network ?
- I use an Open VPN client and I route the trafic only for some specfic devices, is this configuration compatible with guest bandwith limitation ?

I answer to myself after doing some new tests, restarting from factory reset with Merlin 384.19 :
- after Guest network creation, everything went right with bandwidth limitation for the clients using the Guest SSID
- I can confirm there's no issue with OpenVPN : I setup the OpenVPN client toward my provider, with redirection of some device through the tunnel without impact on Guest bandwith limitation
- BUT after that I tried to configure bandwith limitation for a client using Guest network : that's the individual rules which are applied. The point is that when I removed the individual bandwidth limitation for that client (or for all clients), Guest limitation is not working anymore
- I tried to setup another Guest network, but same problem

So my conclusion is that there's an issue between Guest network bandwith limitation and individual bandwith limitation, I'll start a new thread because there no link with Yazfi implementation

Can you share your pictures of you settings thank you

need help I'm having the same problem I'm using 384.19 firmware
thank you

Attachments

• open vpn connection.PNG
    open vpn connection.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 166
  • open vpn connection1.PNG
    open vpn connection1.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 182
  • vpn settings.PNG
    vpn settings.PNG
    37.6 KB · Views: 176
  • vpn settings1.PNG
    vpn settings1.PNG
    37.3 KB · Views: 175
  • firmware.PNG
    firmware.PNG
    16 KB · Views: 214

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!