What's new

Half Duplex or Full Duplex?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KGB7

Very Senior Member
Here is the setup;

Two AC68R routers are connected to one another by 5Ghz band. Both are running DD-WRT firmware.
1st router is setup as AP.
2nd router is set up as Repeater Bridge.

1st router is sending signal to 2nd router on 5Ghz band. Then the 2nd router retransmits the signal on 2.4Ghz band to clients.

So the question is. Are the clients that are connected to 2nd router on 2.4Ghz band, are they connected on Half Duplex or Full Duplex??

For some reason im thinking its Full Duplex.

Thanks in advance.

All wireless is essentially half duplex.

(As of today; pre-Wave 2 AC with MU-MIMO. Even with MU-MIMO around the middle of this year (crosses fingers) the router will only be able to transmit TO (download) multiple users - the Uplink will still be as it is now; each device will upload one at a time. Even then; each link is still 'half duplex' as each WiFi radio/band can't receive AND transmit at the same time).

But; what you're asking above (assuming you can get it to work as you say with DD-WRT firmware) will allow for full speed of the routers - no halving of the signal as per traditional 'repeater modes'. :)

Please let us know if this works as you're suggesting.

All wireless is essentially half duplex.

(As of today; pre-Wave 2 AC with MU-MIMO. Even with MU-MIMO around the middle of this year (crosses fingers) the router will only be able to transmit TO (download) multiple users - the Uplink will still be as it is now; each device will upload one at a time. Even then; each link is still 'half duplex' as each WiFi radio/band can't receive AND transmit at the same time).

But; what you're asking above (assuming you can get it to work as you say with DD-WRT firmware) will allow for full speed of the routers - no halving of the signal as per traditional 'repeater modes'. :)

Please let us know if this works as you're suggesting.

Thanks for the answer dude.

It works and works perfectly. Images attached.

The second and 3rd pic, you will see a Repeater Bridge and a client attached to it on 2.4Ghz band.

With this set up, i get 5MB/s transfer from PC that is wired in to AP, and back to a Laptop that is connected at 107Mbps/s to a Bridge on 2.4Ghz band. Im not trying to break a speed record, but i do get a steady transfer speed that is above what i get from ISP... and thats all that matters to me.

I can Bridge both routers on both bands and get full 1900 speed! Thus cleints that are attached to Bridge via Ethernet cables, also get the full 1900 speed.

I just discovered a full on AC1900 WiFi Bridge!!

Attachments

• Main AP.png
    Main AP.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 660
  • Repeater Bridge.png
    Repeater Bridge.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 397
  • bridge-ap client 2.4ghz.png
    bridge-ap client 2.4ghz.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
You know your next test, right?

Bridge the routers on the 2.4GHz band and have the 5GHz band available at both router's locations. :)

You know your next test, right?

Bridge the routers on the 2.4GHz band and have the 5GHz band available at both router's locations. :)

Only one of my computers has a Gigabit NIC, the rest are laptops with 100Mbps NIC's, and chepo 2.4Ghz Wifi cards. .:(

At the end of the day, the only thing that is shared on my home network is Internet. No file sharing, no media streaming.

I just did a wright up for anyone that wants to try this set up.;)

Last edited:
I can Bridge both routers on both bands and get full 1900 speed! Thus cleints that are attached to Bridge via Ethernet cables, also get the full 1900 speed.
I'd like to see throughput test data to back this up. I am surprised this works at all. See my comments.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!