What's new

Hard wired Xbox causes wireless to disappear. Help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KeithKman

Occasional Visitor
I have an old Linksys WRT54G router running Tomato 1.28. Runs great with no issues until recently. Keep in mind I have one hard wired computer, one hard wired Xbox, and 8 wireless devices on my home network.

I picked up an Xbox 360 a few weeks ago and have it connected via a Cat 6 cable to my router. Whenever I am using the Xbox the wireless disappears (turns off). As soon as I turn the Xbox off the wireless comes back on and my wireless devices connect back to my home network.

The Xbox is upstairs far away from the router.

It seems the wireless gets disconnected only when I'm playing a game online on the Xbox when a lot of data is going to and from the Xbox from the router.

Why is this happening? Is there an easy fix to keep the wireless on while I'm playing a game online on my Xbox?

hmm.... Linksys WRT54G router running Tomato 1.28.

1st try a newer bios for the router ....

This router caused problems for me while trying to run my network as the main router/wireless/wired controller. I have about a dozen pc, gamers machines and laptops notebooks , kobos all in various configs. Seemed to crash and needed a lot of reboots when ever load increased.

I added a second router with higher processing capability and let it take over the wireless function .... now I have a stable tomato hooked to a stable wireless rt-56u ( supossedly able to hold open 30000 sessions)

so far so good..

Phone company---DSL modem---Tomato---rt-56uwifi only \/ --pc/s--etc....

I mounted a small computer fan underneath to router blowing up into the router. No more wireless crashing.

I am upgrading routers. I'm picking up the RT-N66U when it ships via Amazon. I'm on the waiting list.