What's new

Entware Has anyone installed Python 3.x via Entware on Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MKANET

Regular Contributor
My apologies, I know this is an Asus-Wireless forum. However, I'm not sure where else to ask this question. I am curious if anyone here has installed Python 3.x via Entware on Merlin. Would an RT-AC5300 be able to comfortably handle running something like fail2ban?

Thanks (and sorry again for posting this off-topic thread on this forum)

Browsing posts earlier... I saw Merlin himself post that this was not recommended on routers due to the size and complexity of installing Python, rather it's better to use bash scripts for most things in the firmware.

Other options (other than fail2ban) I've found so far are enabling SSH brute force protection in the GUI, using SSH keys, and Skynet. Enabling AIProtect with Skynet is also suggested. Using fail2ban on any machines you have ports forwarded to is also a suggestion. Hope this helps.

I would like to create a python script for Spunk to be able to add a block as an action for searches that meet a specific search criteria... i don't seem to find anyone else using scripts to automate skynet ... is that something you're interested in by chance?

My apologies, I know this is an Asus-Wireless forum. However, I'm not sure where else to ask this question. I am curious if anyone here has installed Python 3.x via Entware on Merlin. Would an RT-AC5300 be able to comfortably handle running something like fail2ban?

Thanks (and sorry again for posting this off-topic thread on this forum)
Browsing posts earlier... I saw Merlin himself post that this was not recommended on routers due to the size and complexity of installing Python, rather it's better to use bash scripts for most things in the firmware.

Other options (other than fail2ban) I've found so far are enabling SSH brute force protection in the GUI, using SSH keys, and Skynet. Enabling AIProtect with Skynet is also suggested. Using fail2ban on any machines you have ports forwarded to is also a suggestion. Hope this helps.
For mild application uses, Python 3.x works fine on the router. I would not recommend using it for anything sophisticated. The main reason why is because ENTWARE only has bits and pieces of the actual python 3.x support. I have used it for PIP applications and what not, but nothing complex like compiling. The more complex the use case, the more I would stray away from trying to use it in ENTWARE.

Also, when using Python from ENTWARE Repo, one must remain diligent with keeping things up-to-date. As ENTWARE releases new updates Python packages or dependencies may fall out of alignment and complain until they are updated to match the new Repo.

Last edited: