What's new

have any body heard of this model. Asus RT-AC68A

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

More on RT-AC1900P... Product was released last month and has been shipped to several resellers. It is available thru: Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg, etc. But no idea when.

Per the Asus site ... ASUS RT-AC1900P Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.1842. The first version of firmware for RT-AC1900P.

Looks to me like this FW is may be as problematic as the RT-AC68A FW - Not Merlin capable!? At least initially...

More on RT-AC1900P... Product was released last month and has been shipped to several resellers. It is available thru: Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg, etc. But no idea when.

Per the Asus site ... ASUS RT-AC1900P Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.1842. The first version of firmware for RT-AC1900P.

Looks to me like this FW is may be as problematic as the RT-AC68A FW - Not Merlin capable!? At least initially...
That is the firmware version that arrived on my rt-ac68a. This firmware version appears to be fully functional (at least to me). I am currently running Merlins custom firmware without problems. I do believe the other firmware is the problematic version.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If what I found is accurate, the RT-AC68A does not feature the Trend Micro engine, which means no Adaptive QoS. That might be one of the reasons for its lower cost (since Asus probably has to pay TM for every model they want to support with that engine).

If what I found is accurate, the RT-AC68A does not feature the Trend Micro engine, which means no Adaptive QoS. That might be one of the reasons for its lower cost (since Asus probably has to pay TM for every model they want to support with that engine).

Is that software or hardware? The Amazon description says it comes with Trend Micro protection.

I believe it's software. The one I have h/w c1, which shipped with f/w 1842, seems to have a fully functioning adaptive QOS. But I guess the AC68A wasn't supposed to come with this firmware preloaded, why else would there be a cut down f/w version.

RMerlin, the AC68A that I have came with BL version 1.1.1.2, is this available on other AC68x SKUs?

You should read a few pages back. This model seems to have shipped with two different firmware versions. The firmware on yours, 380_2892 has crippled many of the options on this router, including the ability to upload new firmware. At this time there does not appear to be a work around.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
The only work around is to sell it and get a different one

I believe it's software. The one I have h/w c1, which shipped with f/w 1842, seems to have a fully functioning adaptive QOS. But I guess the AC68A wasn't supposed to come with this firmware preloaded, why else would there be a cut down f/w version.

RMerlin, the AC68A that I have came with BL version 1.1.1.2, is this available on other AC68x SKUs?

I have the same as you and upgraded to the Merlin firmware. This is strange since the description specifically mentions Trend Micro on Amazon.

I have the same as you and upgraded to the Merlin firmware. This is strange since the description specifically mentions Trend Micro on Amazon.
It mentions other missing f/w features, like the 3G/4G wireless USB dongle support. It cannot be trusted. Amazon must've copied the U's SKU specs blindly.

EDIT: Did you try Merlin's latest version?

It mentions other missing f/w features, like the 3G/4G wireless USB dongle support. It cannot be trusted. Amazon must've copied the U's SKU specs blindly.

EDIT: Did you try Merlin's latest version?

I didn't install the latest but have Merlins version that as current until this week. I've had no problems. It's running dual wan perfectly.

Versions can't be compared across models. Different product lines will have totally different bootloaders.

As I guessed then? Amazon doesn't have the customers in mind; just their bottom line.

Give it a similar enough name. Remove the options that make the original models so desirable. Sell at a still too high cost for a gimped version.

Oh ya, business as usual.

RMerlin, thanks for the clarification about CFE versioning. And I think you're right about the AC68A with the cut-down f/w version lacking adaptive QOS. One of the reviewers on Amazon has a screenshot of the UI, instead of the "Adaptive QoS" button on the side menu it shows "Traffic Monitor". So the missing features may include any or all feature included on the "Bandwidth Monitor", "QoS", and "Web History" tabs under "Adaptive QoS".

RMerlin, thanks for the clarification about CFE versioning. And I think you're right about the AC68A with the cut-down f/w version lacking adaptive QOS. One of the reviewers on Amazon has a screenshot of the UI, instead of the "Adaptive QoS" button on the side menu it shows "Traffic Monitor". So the missing features may include any or all feature included on the "Bandwidth Monitor", "QoS", and "Web History" tabs under "Adaptive QoS".

I think this only applies to those with the gimped firmware. My Ac68A is running Merlin firmware and has adaptive QOS.

im a little confused here , this so called gimped version was it not sold much cheaper that what a normal rt-ac68u/r was and would you not expect something to be missing for the price difference or do ppl think they will just get an exact copy of the U/R for much less just because it comes from amazon

can someone point me to the sales page from amazon for the gimped version as i cant find it

the A version does have the same outstanding wifi as the R\U i expect and after all isnt that what most ppl are after

It is confusing because, as far as I know, there's only one sales page but folks are being shipped products with different capabilities.

It is confusing because, as far as I know, there's only one sales page but folks are being shipped products with different capabilities.

then if they sold a unit that is advertised with trend micro as the page on amazon im looking at it then should come with trend micro or anyone getting the gimmped out version has a right to a full refund as its misrepresented

if however the advertised page makes no mention of trend micro or other features that are missing its a much greyer area

Agreed. As I understand it, the page represented out as full featured. But I don't have an archive of the pre-order page to check.

im a little confused here , this so called gimped version was it not sold much cheaper that what a normal rt-ac68u/r was and would you not expect something to be missing for the price difference or do ppl think they will just get an exact copy of the U/R for much less just because it comes from amazon

can someone point me to the sales page from amazon for the gimped version as i cant find it

the A version does have the same outstanding wifi as the R\U i expect and after all isnt that what most ppl are after
http://amzn.com/B01CVOLM5Y
The confusion is due to Amazon blindly copying and pasting the R\U specs. There was no indication if and what features this SKU will be missing. It also wasn't clear whether the price was a limited promotion. In fact they raised the pre-order price above that of the 68U a few days later, before stopping pre-orders.
Personally I don't mind the missing firmware features if that is coupled with an "equivalent" price drop. I find the single active core more annoying, because they are messing with the hardware at this point. (That's assuming it's not a firmware glitch).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!