What's new

Have I maxed out my Asus ac68u WiFi router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Standard BCM4360 doesn't have CPU Offloading like newer radios, BCM4366 as an example. There is one only AC68U C1 revision with BCM43602 radio and own processing, but rare find.

It's not rare, and again, the Broadcom radios do their own crypto - they must otherwise latency would suffer...

You realize of course that the 4360 is a Wireless NIC, not a router SoC - just because one number is next to another doesn't mean they are related...

I know more things here than you on this topic, and I don't expect you to understand...

I know more things than you on this topic, and I don't expect you to understand...

No doubt about it, but the fact is AC68U routers are very heavy on the CPU. The moment the radio is changed to newer version, the CPU quiets down. For this reason routers like AC88U and AC5300 perform much better with the same main CPU. And the latency is lower too.

This router's radio BCM4360 doesn't have own processing unit and relies on the main CPU. When you transfer files LAN-WLAN there is no routing. WAN-WLAN traffic results in higher CPU load. What you observe on AC68U with 800/1000MHz CPU is less noticeable on AC1900P with 1400MHz CPU. I never had V4 in my hands for testing (1800MHz ARMv8 CPU), but I expect this h/w version will do 500+ Mbps on both LAN-WLAN and WAN-WLAN.

That makes sense.

I bought a new Cable Modem Arris Surfboard SB6190 and I’m getting 898Mbps down from WAN via lan cable. But wifi speed is maxed out at 345Mpbs. ( minimum 330Mbps ).

Tried Merlin firmware, latest Asus official firmware and Fork firmware. Tested it and retested it.

Switched back to Asus CM16 cable modem and the WiFi speeds are same. Oh well.

Thanks for the help everyone.

That makes sense.

I bought a new Cable Modem Arris Surfboard SB6190 and I’m getting 898Mbps down from WAN via lan cable. But wifi speed is maxed out at 345Mpbs. ( minimum 330Mbps ).

Tried Merlin firmware, latest Asus official firmware and Fork firmware. Tested it and retested it.

Switched back to Asus CM16 cable modem and the WiFi speeds are same. Oh well.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Did you read this post where I tried to explain possible limitations:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!