What's new

Having an issue with a device connecting.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The_Bishop

Occasional Visitor
I've got a RecTeq RT-340 pellet grill that is giving me a hard time connecting via wifi. It used to work just fine, but I think something changed once Asus firmware enabled Wifi 6 on my RT-AX58U. The grill wants to connect via 2.4Ghz, and I've already gone into the configuration and disabled ax mode on the 2.4 network, and set it to legacy. Still no joy.
I've installed Merlin to see if there would be any change, and for a little while it seemed to be working! A day or so later, it wasn't functioning again. Swapping out the router for an older TP Link with the same SSID/Passphrase gets everything working again, but then I'm losing all the additional monitoring/functionality of the Asus unit. Anyone have any idea of what changed, or a way I can get this working again?

've got a RecTeq RT-340 pellet grill that is giving me a hard time connecting via wifi.

I'm sorry? :rolleyes:

I have Starlink integrated into my SpaceX grill.

put it on the Guest wireless vlan, 2.4 GHz, 20 Mbit channel width.
Should handle both RTs and SpaceX launch monitoring....

If you have enabled WPA3-PERSONAL go back to WPA2-PERSONAL.

Degrub: It's on 2.4, in legacy mode, at a channel width of 20.

Bbunge: System is set up on WPA2-Personal already.

Being as it dropped off the network yesterday during a cook even with the old router, I'm starting to suspect a bad controller in the smoker.

One thing I have tried that does seem to help with some of these IoT devices to to find their mac address and assign a static address.
Many of these little IoT things have pretty poorly written network stacks…

One thing I have tried that does seem to help with some of these IoT devices to to find their mac address and assign a static address.
Many of these little IoT things have pretty poorly written network stacks…
I've tried that. Can see something repeating in the system logs, trying to figure out what it means:

May 30 14:50:54 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth5: Auth D8:BF:C0:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
May 30 14:51:00 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:BF:C0:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1), rssi:0
That's the MAC address of the grill. Based on some digging, the wifi chip is pretty weak in these, so I'm going to add an improved antenna and see if it helps. Elsewhere in the log I'm seeing an RSSI of -85, so I'm guessing that the signal is just too weak... Which is extremely odd, considering that it worked fine for 2+ years.