What's new

Heat problem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Namtaro

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I noticed that my Rtn66u was very hot the other day, burning to the touch on the top plastic.
I checked the temperature readouts and it said it was 77/80 degrees!

I haven't had any slowdowns or problems so far, but are these safe operating temperatures? I have a switch connected to it for a total of 6 computers connected by wire and a couple of devices and laptops on wireless...

Radio temperatures on the tools menu are at 55C on mine.

Last edited:
Well that's not really helpful. I'm asking if 80 degrees are safe operating temperatures or should I return this one and hope that it was just a bad heatsink mount?

Well that's not really helpful. I'm asking if 80 degrees are safe operating temperatures or should I return this one and hope that it was just a bad heatsink mount?
If it's a short term spike it should be ok but not otherwise. Is your network traffic heavy?

Not a short term spike since I checked it again and it's hovering in the high 70's.

Turned off the router for an hour and checked again. Started at 50's and now it's around high 60's low 70's.

When I tested an hour ago, I only streamed media from my server to main computer and had torrents running.

No idea how you are taking your temperature readings, but if you do so through the webui, normal temperatures are somewhere around 50-60C. If your router reaches as high as 80C then something is wrong. Make sure it's not stacked on top of another piece of equipment that's also generating its own heat.

If I recall, the chip was designed to handle up to 80C, at which point it should start throttling.

Not a short term spike since I checked it again and it's hovering in the high 70's.
What are your cpu load numbers like from the tools menu?

I'm running Tomato, but I don't think that would cause it to run so hot?

CPU usage on the front page says

CPU Load (1 / 5 / 15 mins) 0.15 / 0.00 / 0.00

To check the temperatures, inside the UI, I used the script :

wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense

I only have QoS and port forwarding that I configured myself. Otherwise, it's my printer, server, main computer and a switch with a PS3 and laptop connected to it.

Nothing's on top of the router and nothing's blocking the area of airflow. I just have my modem and switch beside the router.

To check the temperatures, inside the UI, I used the script :

wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
ASUSWRT RT-N66U_3.0.0.3 Sat Aug 18 00:42:24 UTC 2012
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
67 (0x43)
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
67 (0x43)

Those are not the actual temperature. You have to divide it by 2, then add 20 to get the actual temperature.

Those are not the actual temperature. You have to divide it by 2, then add 20 to get the actual temperature.

Really? That's awesome news ! Looks like my router's actually been hovering around 60 degrees then. :)

Thanks a lot !