What's new

help me choose a decent router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

soulbadguy

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I am in need of a new router and while i am pretty techsavy , networking (booth hardware and software ) is not my forte.
Current situation and needs :
My current router/modem CISCO DPC3825 ifrom rogers is not working properly : slow download,long ping, connection drops, corrupt downloads, slow youtube video. etc... All but the youtube problems goes away (youtube improved but still somewhat slow, but it improves) when i put the modem/router in bridges mode and connect my PC directly in the Ethernet port.So i want a router to regain wifi (or not having to use my pc as a wifi hotspot)

I have pretty limited needs in term of range and speed, all my devices are wifi N and most of them have 2*2 antennas. So in making the choice for a new router i am mainly focus on reliability and firmware feature set.
Charasteristic/Features that i would want in a router
  • Low ping over wifi . I don't game online that much , but i do work from home frequently, and my work involed ssh'ing into remote servers. With my current router, the latency is so bad that i can feel a lag between my keystrokes and them appears in a ssh console.And that rather distracting
  • good QOS : i am always downloading something in the background while working or using skype .A good QOS management would be appreciated
  • Support for power-on-lan packet and easy access to my local network from outside (remoting in my desktop machine from outside for example)
  • Support for Cisco Anytime Connect VPN : i use cisco anytime connect client to connect to work network . Is there a router that support cisco vpns ?
  • i know most router support guess networks, is there a router/firmware where the main wifi and the guess can be on different vpns ?
  • I am hearing a lot of talk about youtube video performances and stuff life blocking cache servers, changing dns etc... I am not sure i understand the all of it, but are there some router/firmware that would help in case i need to do those kind of things ?

After reading on the forum, it looks like in term of brand asus are good , and they routers look kinda cool, So now i am hesitating between the AC56u,AC66u and the AC68u.

Are there major difference between the firmware/features of those three ?
For someone who does not have a 3*3 antenna device, does a 3*3 router present any advantage ?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for ready , time to go to bed :)

Hi,
I happen to have same modem/router from Shaw cable here in Calgary. The day I got it
I phoned Shaw support to ask them to put the router into bridge mode. Since I had RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, and now Netgear R7000 going back and forth between dd-wrt and stock f/w. All 3 of them did well for me whatever I tried..

I am using RT-AC68U and I am quite happy with everything it has to offer. One of you requirement was QOS and I am using that on my side and it handle connection very well, even with Skype or viber running with bittorent all at same time. On average I have 28 devices connected to router over wireless.

Just remember when you enable QOS, you disable hardware accretion which is useful if you very high speed internet 100+ mbps line.

Key difference between RT-AC66U and RT-AC68U is later one is dual core processor and high clock speed, which allow router to be more responsive under heavy workload and you can overclock as well if needed.

Last edited:
Does the 2 cores vs 1 core makes a big difference for a 30/10 mbs connection ?

Unless one is doing embedded SW development and tuning the kernel, it really doesn't make a difference... most folks don't have the tools needed in any event.

Putting things at the 100,000 ft view - depending on the job at hand - a single MIPS core at 700MHz vs. two ARM Cortex-A9's @ 1Ghz - the performance is about the same... and the MIPS core can and often does have an advantage in router applications - this is why until recently, MIPS cores were the dominant player in light-duty SOC's - and they still are in other applications...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!